Apple has released a patch for Mac OS X 10.6.3, dubbed Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update. It appears that this build incorporates updates that are also included in a “supplemental” Mac OS X 10.6.3 patch available through Software Update. This supplemental update is only required if you upgraded directly from Mac OS X 10.6.0 to Mac OS X 10.6.3. It is not, according to Apple, necessary if you updated to Mac OS X 10.6.3 from Mac OS X 10.6.1 or 10.6.2.
In other words, the initial Mac OS X 10.6.3 combo updater left out some pieces necessary for updating from Mac OS X 10.6.0. This release includes those missing pieces, which can also be acquired through a much smaller, supplemental patch through Software Update.
As such, it appears that this release does not include any refinements aimed at resolving a variety of issues users have experienced after the initial update to Mac OS X 10.6.3 (see our full Mac OS X 10.6.3 problem coverage).
Among the fixes Apple lists for this release (which mimic those mentioned for the initial Mac OS X 10.6.3 release):
- improve the reliability and compatibility of QuickTime X
- address compatibility issues with OpenGL-based applications
- address an issue that causes background message colors to display incorrectly in Mail
- resolve an issue that prevented files with the # or & characters in their names from opening in Rosetta applications
- resolve an issue that prevented files from copying to Windows file servers
- improve performance of Logic Pro 9 and Main Stage 2 when running in 64-bit mode
- improve sleep and wake reliability when using Bonjour wake on demand
- address a color issue in iMovie with HD content
- improve printing reliability
- resolve issues with recurring events in iCal when connected to an Exchange server
- improve the reliability of 3rd party USB input devices
- fix glowing, stuck, or dark pixels when viewing video from the iMac (Late 2009) built-in iSight camera
Combo updates are available via the following links:
Feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the comment section below.