Users continue to experience intermittent mouse/keyboard freezes and/or system stalls after the update to Mac OS X 10.6.3. The issue is typified by the cursor freezing in place, or text input becoming suddenly interrupted then catching up a few seconds later, and is covered in our Mac OS X 10.6.3 troubleshooting guide.
Recent anecdotes from Apple Discussion board posters experiencing this problem:
- Alan515: “I am having the same problem, began after upgrade to 10.6.3. All of sudden the mouse freezes and the keyboard won’t work. Sometimes if I am typing when the “glitch” happens, the key just repeats and whatever letter I was typing repeats many times until the problem stops.”
- geoslang: “Have tried everything posted on the web to fix this, but no luck. Mouse and keyboard freeze about every 3 minutes for about 10 seconds. Happened twice during this post!”
Previously mentioned fixes include removing login and startup items, or deleting errant kernel extensions, clearing kernel extensions, and more. Unfortunately, some users have only been able to find respite by downgrading to Mac OS X 10.6.2.
Spotlight re-index. It appears that at least some instances of this issue can be attributed to problematic Spotlight indexing. Re-index your startup drive and any external USB drives by following these instructions:
- Open System Preferences (in the Apple menu; upper-left portion of the screen)
- Open the Spotlight pane, then select the Privacy tab.
- Drag your hard drive(s) and any USB drives, USB memory sticks, etc. from the desktop to the Privacy list.
- Remove the items from your privacy list
If the above process doesn’t work to resolve your mouse/keyboard freezing issue, try downloading Hidden Files to view invisible files on your mounted drives. Delete the file.Spotlight-V100 from your startup drive and any connected USB drive then restart.
Disable multi-touch gestures. Some users have reported that disabling multi-touch gestures in System Preferences resolves this issue. Other users report that simply disabling then re-enabling gestures resolves the problem.
Switch mouse/keyboard. If you are using a third party mouse and/or keyboard, try temporarily switching to different input devices. If the freezing problem goes away, try removing any software utilities or add-ons associated with your third-party mouse/keyboard.