Several users who are dissatisfied with new iPhoto ’11 feature changes, or who are experiencing problems with third-party add-ons or other issues may seek to downgrade to iPhoto ’09. There are two methods for doing so:
If you have a Time Machine or other backup of your old iPhoto installation
Restore the following files from your backup:
- /Library/Application Support/iPhoto
- ~/Pictures/(name of your iPhoto Library) — the tilde (~) represents your home user folder
Now launch iPhoto ’09 and select your restored iPhoto library if prompted.
If you don’t have a Time Machine or other backup
- Backup your current iPhoto ’11 installation, including the library
- Reinstall iPhoto ’09 from the original installation disc
- Launch iPhoto ’09
- Locate your current iPhoto ’11 library in the ~/Pictures/ folder
- Right-click or control-click the iPhoto ’11 library and select “Show Package Contents”
- Drag the “Masters” folder into the iPhoto ’09 window to restore your photos. This will allow you to retain events, but will delete keepsakes, albums and other metadata.