If you’re displeased with the new Ping buttons or Ping sidebar (which replaces the previous Genius sidebar) in iTunes 10.0.1 and would like to revert to iTunes 10.0, you can do so using the following process:
Mac: If you have a Time Machine backup, simply use it to restore your iTunes 10.0. Otherwise, follow these instructions:
First, delete the following files
- The iTunes application in /Applications
- com.apple.iTunes.plist, which is located in ~/Library/Preferences (this is the library folder inside your user folder)
- iTunes.pkg, which is located in /Library/Receipts (this is the library folder at the root level of your startup drive)
- iTunesX.pkg, which is located in /Library/Receipts
Next, download iTunes 10.0 and run the installer.
You may then need to recreate your iTunes library.
- Go to C:\My Documents\My Music. Backup the entire “iTunes” folder to a safe location.
- Using the Control Panel to uninstall the following: Apple Application Support, iPhone Configuration, iTunes 10, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update and QuickTime.
- Reboot your computer
- Go back to C:My Documents\My Music\iTunes
- Rename the file iTunes Library.itl to something like iTunes Library.itl.backup.
- In the same folder, open “Previous iTunes Libraries” and find the most recent library backup, which should be named something like “iTunes Library 2010-09-1.itl” Copy this file, then paste it in C:My Documents\My Music\iTunes and rename it iTunes Library.itl
- Download either iTunes 10.0 for 32-bit or iTunes 10.0 for 64-bit (depending on your system configuration) and install the software.
- You may then need to recreate your iTunes library.