To use the iPod app on your iPad, you have to get song onto your iPad.
How to Import Songs into your iPad
1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
2. This should automatically launch iTunes on your computer. If not, you can launch it manually. This also implies that you have iTunes already installed on your computer.
3. In iTunes, select music from your computer as shown below. Then drag a song from your computer to the iPad device. This is known as manual syncing.
Using your iPod app
4. On your iPad, tap iPod from your Home screen.
5. In the iPod app, select Music under Library. You should see your song now copied there. Tap on the song to start playing it.
Or you can tap on the plus sign icon on the lower left corner to create a playlist which would play a whole list of songs (with or without shuffle).
Note that you have a volume control in the upper left. And a search songs field on the upper right.
You can also sort songs by artists, album, genre, or composer.
6. If you click on the album cover (the picture of the music note) under “now playing” on the lower left corner, you will get a full-screen display of the album cover. If you tap on the full-screen display of that album cover, and you will see some playback controls appear.
On the upper left you have the volume. On the upper right you have pause/play button. You also have options for repeat and shuffle. On the lower right, you have a button to display the list of songs. On the lower left is a button to go back to the iPod music library.