No need to purchase a digital photo frame. You can use your iPad as such.
But first you have to have some photos. You can take the photos from your iPad camera or you can transfer photos from your computer to your iPad via iTunes.
1. Tap “Settings” from your Home screen.
2. Tap “Picture Frame” to bring up the picture frame options.
Here you can choose the slide transition to be either Dissolve or Origami. The Dissolve option will fade out one photo while fading in another photo. Under the Origami transition, the photos will appear to fold and unfold into the next photo.
3. You can also turn shuffle on and adjust the duration of each photo. There is also a feature to “zoom in on faces”. You can set it to show all your photos or just photos in a certain album.
4. To initial the digital picture frame, you have to be in the iPad’s lock screen. This is the screen that says “Slide to unlock” after you wake the iPad from sleep. If you don’t want to wait for it to go to sleep, you can click the sleep button on the upper right. Now click the Home button to get the “Slide to Unlock” screen. But don’t slide it. Tap the picture frame icon instead.
5. Now just stand the iPad on the table and use it as a digital picture frame.
6. To bring your iPad out of digital picture frame mode, press the Home button. The “Slide to unlock” prompt will appear. Slide to unlock it and you will get back your Home screen.
You may realize that the slideshow feature in the Photos app can pretty much do the same thing. However, there is one big difference. When a user clicks the Home button in the digital picture frame app, one will get the “slide to unlock” screen. The user will not be able to get into your iPad without a password. This is assuming that you have set a password for your iPad (which is recommended since it has access to your emails).
The slideshow feature in “Photos” does not lock out the user. So anyone who clicks on the Home button while the slideshow is playing will abort the slideshow and be right inside your iPad with access to your emails and other data.
So for using your iPad as a digital picture frame, it is better to use the Digital Picture Frame app rather than the slideshow feature in the Photos app.