So you have bought yourself a new iOS device and you want to maintain it properly, not only to avoid damages but also to increase performance and help troubleshoot your problems. We strongly recommend properly taking care of your new iPhone, iPod or iPad.
- First of all, read your device’s manual. Manuals are available here. Also check out and be familiar with the Apple support web site. Apple’s support web site can be accessed at support.apple.com
- One of the first things we recommend is that you buy a case for your new device to avoid mechanical/physical damages, especially if children are using the device. Because, for instance, dropping your device on hard surfaces can severely damage your device. Apple Store and Amazon have numerous selections of cases. Although we recommend a case, we do not believe that invisible screen protectors are really needed. iOS devices have the highest quality scratch resistant screens.
- You may prolong your device’s battery lifespan. Make sure that you complete at least one charge cycle per month ( that is charging the battery to 100% and then completely empty the battery.)
- Keep your software up to date. Verify you have installed the latest version of iTunes. Make sure that your devices iOS software is up to date. Please refer to this article for more information. Apple not only fixes a lot of bugs but also introduces many new features with every update.
- Clean your screen periodically. A dirty screen may also cause your device’s touch screen to become unresponsive. Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth.
- Backing up is always good. Back up your device periodically. Please read this article for more information.
- iOS device storage spaces are really limited, even the bigger ones. To maximize the use of your space, delete unused apps and games because they can take up a lot of space. Deleting an app does not mean you need to buy again if you want it in future. Every app you own is free to re-download again in the future. To do that just go to “App Store” > “Purchased” > “Not On This iPad” or “Not On This iPhone” then download again. You will not be charged again.
- iOS devices are complex machines and the easiest and most efficient maintenance that you can do is to reboot your device regularly. Simply press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on top of your device for a few seconds; then a red slider will appear, then slide the slider.