This short article explains how to troubleshoot issues with the Messages application on iOS devices; iPad, iPad mini, iPhone or iPod touch. Test after performing each step. If the problem is not fixed, continue to the next step.
- Restart your device by pressing and holding the On/Off button until you see “slide to power off”. Slide to power off your device. Then press the On/Off button to turn it back on.
- Make sure that iMessage is turned on (Settings > Messages).
- Make sure that you have a valid cellular or Wi-Fi data connection.
- Toggle cellular data off and then on again on the iPhone: Tap Settings > General > Cellular. Toggle Wi-FI off and then on on the iPad and iPod: Tap Settings > Wi-Fi
- Make sure that the Apple ID or phone number is listed in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.
- Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, tap your Apple ID, and Sign Out and then sign back in.