Newer iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models have two cameras, one facing the user, the other on the back of the device. It seems a lot of users who upgraded to iOS 7 are having issues with the Camera app. Reported issues are:
- Black screen
- Unable to switch cameras (front and back)
- Shutter problems (not opening)
- Camera app crashes
Related: iOS: Camera not working; fix
If you are experiencing these problems, please try:
- First thing you should check for IOS software updates and if available, install them. To do so tap Settings > General > Software Update. If there is no update, restart your camera app by double pressing home button and then swipe up on the camera app.
- Second thing you should do is to restart your device. Just press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds then slide the red slider. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until you see the Apple logo.
- If restarting does not solve your problem, reset all your resettings. Simply go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will erase all your settings and preferences but down worry you will not lose any data.
- If your problem still persists, you may want to reset your device. To do so, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together until you see the Apple logo.
- If nothing above helps, then you can try this. First back up your device (iTunes or iCloud) and erase your iPhone or iPad. by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. The set up your device as new when prompted to set up your device. Check to see if erasing and setting up as a new device resolved your camera issue. If your problem is gone, restore your device from your backup in iTunes.
- If above solutions do not fix your problem, it is likely that you have a hardware problem. Contact Apple support.