Apple’s presentation software Keynote is designed to create beautiful presentations on your Mac. Keynote presentation documents are saved as Keynote format files with “.key” file extensions.
So you received a presentation made in Keynote. Here is how you can open, view and edit this file on your computer.
Note that Microsoft Powerpoint cannot open Keynote presentations. Keynote is available for Mac and Apple iDevices (iPhone and iPad), there is no PC (Windows) version. So you need to do one of the followings:
1-With Keynote, you can convert a Keynote presentation into a Powerpoint document. Keynote presentations can be saved as Powerpoint (.ppt or pptx) files. Ask the person who sent the Keynote slides (or anybody who has the app) to save the Keynote file as a PowerPoint presentation. To do this, launch the Keynote app, then open the presentation. Select “File” > “Export to” > “Powerpoint…”. After this, he or she can send the ppt or pptx file so you can open and edit it on your computer.
If you cannot do this option, then try the next one:
2-You may use iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) for iCloud (Keynote for iCloud). iCloud.com is available on PC computers also. You may use Apple’s iCloud web site and convert your Keynote file into Powerpoint file. Here is how:
- Visit icloud.com
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password. If you do not have one, create one.
- When you log in, select Keynote.
- Upload your Keynote presentation
- Double click the presentation you just uploaded
- Select “Download a Copy…” then select Powerpoint.
- After this, you may open this Powerpoint file.
- After your modifications, you may use this tool to convert it back into a Keynote file.
- You may also want to edit / view online without downloading.
See also: How to open Mac’s .pages file format on Microsoft Windows