Apple TV Remotes come in two versions depending upon the generation of Apple TV that you own. The new Apple TV remote sports a Siri based support that offers voice based control and browsing mechanisms. These remotes are pretty sturdy but sometimes one can experience issues that can be frustrating. In this Article, we will examine some of the reasons around why your Apple TV Remote is not working and what you can do to fix the issues at hand.
Just to spell out the obvious, please make sure that the remote has the batteries et al that are required for its operation. Please make sure to remove anything that blocks the path between your Apple Remote and the front of your Apple TV, which is where the IR sensor is. We wish that the TV remote came equipped with a RF signal instead of IR, but given that its IR, the line of sight has to be clear for the remote to talk to the TV unit.
When you press the Apple TV remote, check the response of the light on the Apple TV unit. If it flashes three times in succession that would mean that the TV has been paired with a different remote. If the light flashes when you press buttons on your Apple Remote but nothing happens on your TV,
- You can try pairing your Apple TV with your TV remote and then go into remote settings and try to pair it with your Apple TV remote. You can look at the article from Apple to explore this.
- If you are using the Siri Remote, you can reset it by simultaneously pressing the Menu and Volume Up buttons. This will reset your remote and put it back into pairing mode.
- Try Holding the Menu and Down buttons on the Apple Remote to restart your Apple TV.
- If you still need help after the restart, unplug your Apple TV from the power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug it back in. Sometimes unplugging the unit can work.
- If the light on your Apple TV doesn’t flash and you see a exclamation mark in a triangle on your TV screen, replace the battery in your Apple Remote.
If your Apple TV 4 Siri Remote is not connecting, the best solution is to go to Best Buy and purchase one of the USB-C cables and performing a Factory Reset on your Apple TV 4 via iTunes.
Some users have also complained about calibrating the speed on the new Siri Remote. If the trackpad is to sensitive for you, you can’t adjust the sensitivity but you can change how quickly it scrolls. The default is Medium, but if you go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Touch Surface Tracking you can change it to Fast or Slow.
This might be useful if you are really struggling with inputting characters on the onscreen keypad
Another useful tip for selecting characters on the onscreen keypad: to swipe straight to the end of the alphabet you can swipe a little harder on your Apple TV remote touchpad and the “cursor” will fly across the screen in either direction.
If the remote is still unresponsive, you may want to make up an appointment at the Genius Bar and have them take a look at it. In the mean time, you can take advantage of your iPhone and Ipad as use these devices as your remote to control your Apple TV. The key is to make sure that you have the Home Sharing set up and you are using the same wi-fi network.
- Connect your iPhone/iPad running the Remote app to your Wi-fi network at home.
- Make sure your Apple TV is connected to the same Wi-fi network. This is very important for your remote app to work with your Apple TV
- On the Apple TV, go to Settings → General → Remotes → Remote App
- When prompted, enter the Apple ID and password that you use for Home Sharing
- Now, open the Remote app on your iOS device
- Go to the Settings screen and select the Apple TV
- It will take a few moments to pair the app to the Apple TV and you should be able to use your iOS Device to control your Apple TV
We wish you all the best. Please feel free to share your comments.