Several users have reported an issue in which login and/or startup items do not work under various versions of macOS and Mac OS X. This problem occasionally occurs after an upgrade to the latest available version of macOS or Mac OS X for your computer. When the issue occurs, a restart or logout then login results in a disappearance of the login and/or startup items.
About Your Login and StartUp Apps
When you installed certain apps, they automatically put items in your Startup Items folder. And you, another current user, or a previous user possibly manually set-up apps to open at startup. If you or another user frequently use or used an application, then that app might have been set to open automatically right after logging into the Mac.
When you start your Mac, any items placed in the Startup Items folder open automatically. Locate your Startup Items folder in your System Library. The Library folder is normally hidden, so you probably won’t find it when looking. If you need to open it for some reason, click your desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, hold down the Option key, then select Go > Library.
But if your Mac detects an item in your StartupItems folder that doesn’t have the proper security settings, problems often occur. These issues may lead to all your login item failing to open at start-up.
Login Or Startup Items do not Work: Fixes
- Delete the following files:
- Then add back any desired login or startup items and restart
- Fix the settings: macOS and OS X corrects the item’s security settings so that the app or other item opens every time you start your Mac. After the item’s security settings are fixed, restart your Mac and then use the item. You can use your Mac without restarting, but the item won’t open until you restart
- If you think the problem is isolated to a single app, delete the problem app from your list of login item. At login, the app won’t open, and you won’t see a warning message
- Try Deleting and the Adding Back in ALL your Login Items
- Log in as the user who wishes to have a login item or as an admin user.
- Choose System Preferences > Accounts > Name
- Select the Startup Items button or the Login Items button
- To Delete, Select the Item and Click the Minus (-) button
- To Add, Click the Add (+) button, select the Application or another file you want to open at login, and click Add
Before you install an app, be sure it’s compatible with your Mac. If you have questions about whether an app installs items in the StartupItems folder, see the documentation that came with the app or contact the software developer.