Apple has released Safari 5.0 for Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) and 10.6.x (Snow Leopard), and Safari 4.1 for Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger).
New features in Safari 5.0 include:
- Safari Reader: Click on the new Reader icon to view articles on the web in a single, clutter-free page.
- Bing Search Option: New Bing search option for Safari’s Search Field, in addition to Google and Yahoo!.
- Improved HTML5 support: Safari supports over a dozen new HTML5 features, including Geolocation, full screen for HTML5 video, closed captions for HTML5 video, new sectioning elements (article, aside, footer, header, hgroup, nav and section), HTML5 AJAX History, EventSource, WebSocket, HTML5 draggable attribute, HTML5 forms validation, and HTML5 Ruby.
The new release is available through Software Update, or as a standalone download.
New features in Safari 4.1 include:
- Faster page loading with DNS prefetching and improved page caching
- Bing search option in the Search Field
- Improved support for HTML5
- Improved auto-complete in the Smart Address Field
- Improved tabbed browsing, with the option to automatically open webpages in tabs
Problems after updating? Let us know at [email protected].