Some users have reported an issue in which iOS devices, including the iPhone, iPod and iPod fail to sync after the update to iTunes 10. iTunes may display the error message “An unknown error occured (13010).”
There are a number of potential fixes for this issue:
- Reinstall iTunes. In some cases this issue can be resolved by completely removing then reinstalling iTunes as described in this Apple Knowledge Base article.
- Remove third-party backup or antivirus software. If you’ve installed software for an external hard drive or another device, it may include an automatic backup utility that recognizes the iOS device as a storage device, interfering with the normal sync process. Try uninstalling any such software then re-syncing.
- Disable network connection. In some cases, simply disabling your network connection (turning off AirPort or unplugging your Ethernet cable) will resolve the slow or stuck backup phase. It appears that iTunes performs some data network data transfer during the backup process which can, for unknown reasons, take an extremely long time or become stalled.
- Restore instead of update. Backup your iPhone or iPod touch, then perform a restore process instead of using the check for update function. This may allow the iPhone or iPod touch to successfully receive the iOS 4.0 update, after which sync processes should occur at normal speed.
- Switch USB ports. Try switching your iPhone or iPod touch to a different USB port. In particular, if you are using a hub or other intermediary device, try connecting the device directly to your computer.
- Delete iTunes .plist. If you are using Mac OS X, delete the following file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.plist then restart
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.