You can now officially unlock the device for use on other networks. You can unlock AT&T iPhones that are out of contract and in good standing (no past-due balance etc.) If you unlock an AT&T iPhone, you need to restore the iPhone in iTunes to activate the unlocking process. After restoring your device you will receive a message saying “Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked”. To do a restore:
- Contact AT&T and complete the unlock (you may do this by phone, on the web or in person)
- Back up your device first.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- When iTunes launches, select your iPhone and click on the Restore button.
- A pop-up message will appear that says “Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked.”
- Now you’re free to use whatever SIM card you want!