Trying to open a zip file on your iPhone or iPad? .zip and .rar files contain one or more files that have been compressed and need to be extracted to reopen these files. By default, there isn’t a lot you can do with zip / rar archive files on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.But this does not mean that you can’t open them. In fact you can easily open and browse these archives in iOS. Here is how:
- Download and install WinZip for iOS free from the App Store.
- When you receive Zip files (.zip or .zipx), rar files, or 7z files via email (mail app or webmail), or when you download these archives from web sites; you can use WinZip to open them.
- Locate the .zip (or .rar) file you want to open (e.g.,email attachments) > tap Open in WinZip.
- WinZip allows you to view photos, images, documents (doc, docx), .pages files, excel files, pdf files, powerpoint files etc that you will find in the zip files you receive. WinZip also allows you to open and work with encrypted Zip files. When you extract files from Zip or RAR files, you may also view or edit them in another app (e.g. Pages etc).
- How to open Mac’s .pages file format on Microsoft Windows
- How to save, edit and open Word doc and PDF files on your iPad and iPhone
- Mac OS X: How to save anything as .PDF file
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.