Several readers report an issue where they receive the message Facebook: error signing in. With this error they are completely unable to sign into Facebook on their iDevices, including iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches. After entering their Facebook ID and password, they receive the following error message:
Error message: “Error Signing In. Could not communicate with the server.”
If you experience this issue, take a look at the following tips. And try each step one at a time until you resolve your issue.
- 1 Recently Changed or Updated Your Facebook ID or Password?
- 2 First Things First
- 3 First Line of Defense with Facebook: Error Signing In
- 4 Second Steps to Fix Facebook: Error Signing In
- 5 Credentials OK but still getting Facebook: Error Signing In
- 6 Still Getting Facebook: Error Signing In
- 7 The Last Stop
- 8 How to force restart (reset)
Recently Changed or Updated Your Facebook ID or Password?
Apparently, if you change your email or your password during an update of the app, the new app does not recognize this new password or email. Consequently, you get this Facebook: error signing in! Best practice is to change Facebook back to the old password, delete your Facebook app from your iDevice, and then reinstall the app. It should now work for you. If not continue reading….
First Things First
Before you go through this tip list, make sure that your Facebook username and password is correct. Go to Safari or any other browser and sign into Facebook to ensure your Facebook credentials are correct. If not, follow their steps on retrieving your Facebook ID or password, or both.
If you have no trouble logging into Facebook via Safari, try closing your Facebook app and restart again. To do so, double press your home button and swipe upwards on the Facebook thumbnail. The reopen your Facebook and try again.
First Line of Defense with Facebook: Error Signing In
It’s usually the simplest solutions that are the most difficult to figure out. But our readers comments that this tip really works. And all without much effort! Go to Settings>General>Date & Time and make sure Set Automatically is toggled ON (green)…more often than not, this one step resolves the problem!
Another quick tip is to go to Settings, select Facebook, and tap Delete Account. Then reenter your Facebook ID (username and password.)
A Short But Weird Solution
When you see this error, tap on cancel. It will pop up again. The key is to work in between this short time to write username and password. Type each word one by one between your taps on cancel. Once you completely write in your username and password, tap on login.
Second Steps to Fix Facebook: Error Signing In
- Go to Setting>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
- Wait for reboot
- Tap facebook app
- Fill user name and password
- This should reactivate FB
Make sure that your device is connected to the Internet. Launch Safari and check to see if you can view websites. If you are having connection problems you may try these basic troubleshooting tips:
- Tap Settings and toggle off and back on WiFi
- Restart your device
- Restart your router
- Reset network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note that this will erase all your network settings such as your Wi-Fi passwords etc.
Credentials OK but still getting Facebook: Error Signing In
If you are sure that your Facebook credentials are correct, on your iOS device, tap Settings > Privacy > Facebook, then disable Facebook. Now try to login again. Once logged in, please go back and re-enable the privacy setting that you just disabled.
Still Getting Facebook: Error Signing In
Open any browser like Safari or Chrome (or another browser of your choice). Go to Facebook and sign in. Go to your Facebook Settings and select Security. And remove your iDevice from this section.
Follow These Steps
- On iDevice go to Settings > Privacy > Facebook
- Disable Facebook (its a toggle button)
- Log into your Facebook on your computer and click on the gears icon (Settings)
- Go to Settings > Security > Recognized Devices
- Click the ‘Edit’ button and ‘Remove’ the Facebook for iDevice
- On the iDevice, go to Settings > General > Reset
- Press ‘Reset Location & Privacy’ and confirm
- Open Facebook through the app on iDevice
The Last Stop
If you still have problems with your iDevice and Facebook: “Error Signing In”, tap Settings > Privacy > Facebook and toggle off the Facebook option. Then open your Facebook app, try to login. After you login, go back to your privacy setting and turn the Facebook adoption back on.
If that didn’t work for you try this: on your iDevice tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. If you still have problems, restart your iPad or iPhone. If restarting does not fix your issue, force reset your iDevice. Force restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch only as a last resort and only when your iDevice is not responding.
How to force restart (reset)
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo