Some users are experiencing problems with black / frozen screens; after upgrading to the latest version of iOS.
More specifically, your iPhone ( or iPad) screen may go black when you launch an app. Users stated that this problem occurs when they launch an app for the first time. Some users also reported that this black screen problem starts happening after making a call with Voice Control.
It seems that this is not a random issue. We were able to replicate this bug by doing this:
- Disable Siri (if it is enabled) by going to Settings > Siri
- Lock your iPhone screen by pressing sleep/wake button.
- Press and hold the Home button to activate Voice Control
- Call somebody using Voice Control (you may say ‘call Tom,’ for example)
- Talk then end the call.
- Now you will experience this bug. Simply open an app that wasn’t previously opened. Opening any app results in an entirely black screen.
It seems that mostly older models iPhones such as iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c are affected by this issue.
If you are experiencing this iPhone black screen bug, here is how you can troubleshoot:
- We were able to fix this bug by just enabling Siri. If Siri is disabled, go to Settings > Siri and turn Siri on
- Change Display Zoom View from “Standard” to “Zoomed” or “Zoomed” to “Standard”; depending on your original setting
- If the tips above do not solve this problem, try this: Tap Display Zoom View and choose Zoomed and tap “Set.” A message will say “Changing Display Doom will restart iPhone” and tap “Use Zoomed.” After your iPhone restarts, now tap Standard > Set and “Use Standard.”
- Tap Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations (or on older iOS, simply Settings >Display & Brightness) then disable “Auto-Brightness“.
- Restart your device by pressing and holding the on/off button.
- Remove and reinstall the app that you are having problems with. To do this, tap and hold the app, then tap the (x) sign when it jiggles. Then go to the App Store and re-download the same app
- Forced Restart your iPhone or iDevice
- On an iPhone 6S or below plus all iPads & iPod Touches, press Home and Power at the same time until you see the Apple logo
- For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo
- On an iPhone X or iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and immediately release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo
NO Time? Check out our Video Tips!
See also: App Store not working: Blank Screen