Have you ever purchased a used iPhone only to discover that the iCloud account is locked? In other words, your phone needs to remove iCloud Activation Lock. It happens quite frequently and is a big hassle. The recommended method is ask the iPhone reseller to remove iCloud activation lock by disconnecting the iPhone or another iDevice from its current Apple ID and the iCloud account. But a reseller may charge extra and some even intentionally lock iPhones with iCloud IDs giving them have a reason to charge you more. It may take those resellers a few days, even weeks to solve this problem and give you the impression that it’s not simple.
Please note that this how-to addresses a feature called Activation Lock, present in iOS 7 and later. It’s designed to prevent anyone else from using a stolen or lost iDevice. This includes any iPhone models 4S and above, any iPad, or any Apple Watch. Activation Lock is enabled automatically when Find My iPhone is turned on.
UPDATE APPLE REMOVES ICLOUD ACTIVATION LOCK STATUS CHECK
Unfortunately, as of 2017, Apple removed its iCloud Activation Lock status check tool from its website. However, there is a workaround for buyers in the market for a secondhand (New-To-You or Used) iDevice. And some people report that Apple will disable Activation Lock for users upon being provided legitimate proof of purchase.
For more information please check out our article on Using Find My iPhone Activation Lock LookUp Tools
How-To LookUp iPhone Activation Status UPDATED 2017
- Visit Apple’s Support website
- Select iPhone from the list of devices
- Click any HARDWARE search category such as Repairs & Physical Damage or Battery, Power, & Charging.
- On the next page, select a particular problem like Screen Damage, Operating System Does Not Respond, or Unable to Power Off
- Tap Send in for Repair.
- Then enter your device’s serial number, IMEI or MEID to check its Activation Lock status
- If Activation Lock (or Find My iPhone) is enabled, you see a message saying Sorry but we can’t create a repair while Find my iPhone is active
Please note: this workaround currently works, but Apple might completely remove it from the website at any time. So if this method no longer works, let us know.
How-To Unlock an iCloud Account on an iPhone
With the recent Apple changes on its iCloud Activation Lock Tool, the method below may not work–we’ve had no negative reports but things are changing rapidly
This simple guide will walk you through the steps needed to help you unlock a previously used iCloud ID on your current iPhone. We recommend using a third party website to accomplish this. There are a lot of website out there that basically do this same service. Today, we focus on using Officialiphoneunlock.co.uk. We selected this website due to the positive reviews and responses from folks who have used this site. We are NOT endorsing it, we are simply recommending it and using it as our example.
- First, visit this website: Officialiphoneunlock.co.uk
- From the side menu, tap on iCloud Unlock option
- Fill in the details such as the iPhone model, the IMEI or Serial number
- If you don’t know your IMEI or Serial number
- Go to Settings > General > About
- For iPhone 5 and above and for the original iPhone, the IMEI/MEID is on the back of your device
- Or iPhone 4S and below and iPhone 6S, the IMEI/MEID is on the SIM tray
- Using iTunes, select your device and click Summary
- For iPhone, click phone number to see IMEI/MEID
- For iPad cellular model, click Serial Number to see IMEI/MEID
- You can also try dialing *#06# on your phone and your IMEI number will be texted
- If you have a locked iPhone and are unable to use the dialer, press the ‘i’ symbol at the ‘device screen’. This should display the IMEI number.
- IMEI/MEID numbers and serial numbers are also located on the original packing for the iDevice, so if you have access to that packaging take a look at the white label that comes with each iDevice.
What does this service actually do?
This Remove iCloud Activation Lock Service permanently removes the Activation Lock. And the device is removed from the previous owner’s iCloud account. Then, you activate and setup the device as normal and connect the phone to your own iCloud account.
What about a forgotten Apple ID?
This website is also helpful for anyone who’s forgotten his or her Apple ID and cannot retrieve it the usual ways. Please note that this service WILL NOT unlock a phone from any carrier—the phone will remain locked to the original network.
Officialiphoneunlock.co.uk charges a bit for this service but the amount is probably less than a reseller. You pay Officialiphoneunlock.co.uk the quoted amount and then wait a day or so. Your iPhone is unlocked in a couple of days and you use your iPhone or other iDevice as normal.
What about WiFi Only iDevices?
The great benefit of getting your iPhone unlocked through this website versus a reseller is that you know what you are paying for. This service will work for WiFi Only Devices too, just type in the serial number instead of the IMEI/MEID.
Many of us either purchase or inherit used iPhones and other iDevices. Hopefully, the previous owner very thoughtfully prepared their phone for its departure. But if it arrived to you with iCloud and other credentials clogging its arteries, we have a method to help. Be it your own iPhone or someone else’s, it’s a fairly easy process to get the activation lock and iCloud activation removed. With the help of a useful website www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk, your iPhone or other iDevice is up and running in no time.