Apple released its new watchOS 3.1.1 this week. It appears that this is causing issues with Series 2 watch models. The watchOS 3.1.1 Update released by Apple addressed the following issues apart from a few security updates.
As per Apple, this new update includes the following improvements and bug fixes.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent contact names from appearing in the Messages app and notifications
- Fixes an issue that could impact ability to respond to notifications
- Resolves an issue where the Stocks complication may not update on the watch face
- Fixes an issue that may prevent the Activity rings from displaying on the Activity watch faces
- Fixes an issue that prevented the dials on an analog watch face from appearing after changing the temperature unit in the Weather app
- Resolves an issue that could cause the Maps app to stay launched after navigation has ended
- Resolves an issue where the incorrect date could be displayed in the Calendar app month view
Most Series 1 users were able to update their units without any major issues, however many Series 2 owners found that the update completely bricked their new Apple Watch Series 2.
Affected Apple Watch unit simply shows a red exclamation mark following the update instructing users to visit Apple help.
Apple has currently pulled the update. Apple customer service confirmed that they have pulled the current update and will be releasing a new build. To learn more about updating your watch to the latest watchOS, you can check out Apple’s directions on their site.
Unfortunately these affected Apple Watch units cannot be serviced at your local store. You will need to ship it to Apple and they will fix and ship it back within 48 hours. In the case you are affected by this bricking issue, please reach out to Apple Customer Service.
If you are one of the users who has downloaded the watchOS 3.1.1 but have not yet installed the update on your unit, you can delete the update from your device.
In order to delete the update, Tap on Watch App > General > Usage >WatchOS Update > and Choose Delete here.
Apple is planning to release a new watchOS 3.3.1 update to address the problems experienced by Apple Watch Series 2 users.