The Apple Watch makes a terrific bedside clock and wake-up device. In this article, you’ll learn about the Apple Watch’s alarm feature, including the iOS 12 Bedtime mode, troubleshooting techniques, and more.
- 1 How to Set up Apple Watch Alarms
- 2 Troubleshooting When an Alarm Doesn’t Work
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 4 When in Doubt
How to Set up Apple Watch Alarms
Ready to set the Watch to wake you up at a specific time? Let’s get started.
- First, tap on the Apple Watch Digital Crown to go into Apps.
- Tap on the Alarm app.
- On this Alarm app main screen, you’ll see a list of active and inactive alarm times you have already established. Tap Add Alarm to add a new one.
- Change the hour and minutes using the Digital Crown to match the time you’d like to use as an alarm time. Be sure to select AM or PM.
- Tap Set.
- Back on the main Alarm app screen, notice your new alarm time is active.
The alarm time will now show whenever your Apple Watch is in Night Stand mode.
- watchOS 6 Wishlist: 10 ways Apple can unleash the potential of Apple Watch
- How to Reverse Your Apple Watch Orientation & Why You Might Want To
- How to Analyze Your Apple Watch Workouts
A hassle-free way to set up the alarm on your Apple Watch is to use Siri. In doing so, you don’t have to open the Alarm app and set the alarms manually. Instead, ask Siri to “Wake me up at” or “Set Alarm for” and specify your time. You can also say “Set Repeating Alarm for 7 PM” to set up an alarm that repeats daily.
This action will set up the alarm on your Apple Watch. Similarly, you can also use Siri to remove all your alerts by saying “Clear All Alarms.”
Editing and Deleting Alarm Times
You can change alarm times and whether you wish to repeat them from the main Alarm app screen.
- From here, tap of the alarm time.
- On this screen, you can change the time, repeat it Every Day, Weekdays, Weekends, or days of the week, add a label, or delete the alarm.
- From this same screen, you can also disable the snooze functionality. In doing so, you won’t be able to snooze the alarm when it rings.
When the snooze feature is active, you can turn off your alarm just by tapping Snooze on your Apple Watch display. In several minutes, the alarm will sound again. You can also push the Digital Crown to snooze the alarm.
What is NightStand Mode?
When you turn your Apple Watch on its side, and it’s connected to the charger, you’ll enter NightStand mode. During this time, you’ll see the time and date displayed, not the Apple Watch face.
If you are having issues with this function, go into your Apple Watch apps and select the Settings app. Select General > NightStand Mode and make sure it’s turned ON. If it isn’t, toggle it ON.
How to Set the Same Alarms on Both Apple Watch and iPhone
To see the same alarms on both iPhone and Apple Watch:
- Set the alarm on your iPhone in the iOS Clock app.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab and select Clock.
- Turn on Push Alerts from iPhone on this screen.
The Apple Watch will alert you when an alarm goes off so you can snooze or dismiss the alarm. You aren’t alerted on your iPhone when your Apple Watch alarms go off.
Troubleshooting When an Alarm Doesn’t Work
The best way to address alarm problems on your Apple Watch is to restart both the wearable device and your iPhone. Be sure to restart the iPhone before the Apple Watch.
On Apple Watch, press and hold the side button to bring up the Power Off slider. Slide your finger from left to right on the Power Off slider to restart your watch.
You can also toggle the Silent Mode ON and OFF a few times to see if that resolves the issue. When Silent Mode is enabled on Apple Watch, both alarms and timers are muted unless the wearable device is on the charger and connected to power. Use your finger to scroll up from the bottom of your Apple Watch to see the Control Panel. A bell icon represents silent Mode.
No Vibrations During Alarms
One of the issues you may experience with your Apple Watch alarm has to do with the device’s haptic mode. When active, this mode allows your wearable device to vibrate during alarms.
To check whether this feature is in the ON position:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap Sound & Haptics.
- Turn the Haptic Alerts toggle to the ON position.
- On your Apple Watch, go into the Settings app.
- Tap Sounds & Haptics.
- Toggle ON Haptic Alerts.
- Scroll down and select the Prominent setting. In doing so, you’ll receive an additional haptic tap to pre-announce alerts.
Questions and Answers
Here are some frequently asked questions about alarms on Apple Watch and the answers.
How Long Does the Watch Alarm Last?
Your alarm will continue to ring on your Apple Watch until you turn it off or hit the Snooze button.
Does the Apple Watch Alarm Make Sound or Just Vibrate?
This depends on your setting. By default, you’ll hear a sound and a feel a vibration each time the alarm goes off. However, when turning on Silent mode, you’ll only feel the vibration.
To turn on Silent mode, scroll up from the Apple Watch face. Tap the bell icon representing the setting.
Does the Watch Alarm Work Without an iPhone?
Yes, you don’t need to have your iPhone with you for the alarm to work on your Apple Watch.
How Do You Make the Apple Watch Alarm Sound Louder?
To make the sound of your alarm louder (or softer), go into the Settings app on your Watch. Tap Sounds & Haptics and change the Alert Volume up or down.
What About Bedtime Mode?
If you’re using Bedtime mode on your iPhone, the alarm is also reflected on Apple Watch, assuming your wearable device is unlocked.
When in Doubt
If you run into a problem with the alarms on your Apple Watch, your best bet is to first reboot your wearable device and iPhone. From there, follow the troubleshoot techniques mentioned here.