Having problems connecting or logging into to your Yahoo email account? Seeing pop-up messages on your iPhone or iPad that iOS “Cannot Get Mail” or “Connection to the server failed?” Unable to receive or read emails, delete accounts, or add accounts using the Mail App or the Yahoo App?
We have seen many email related issues over the years on the iPhone.
Most are easily fixed by deleting the account and re-installing it. But some of the recent Yahoo mail issues are somewhat entirely out of the left field.
What is even weirder is that some of these problems appear only to impact a handful of iPhone X Series phone users.
If you are seeing your Yahoo mail not update on your iPhone X Series, you are not alone; there’s plenty of folks reporting similar issues on the yahoo technical support forum.
After speaking to Yahoo support at length, we have finally found a few tips that work including uninstalling and installing the Yahoo mail app on your iPhone X/XS/XR.
- 1 Are Yahoo Mail Servers Down?
- 2 Try the Yahoo Mail App for iOS or the Web Version
- 3 Start with Changing Yahoo Mail Security Settings
- 4 10 Steps To Fix Yahoo Mail Not Updating on iPhone X Series
- 5 Wrap Up
- Mail Not Opening on iPhone or iPad, How To Fix
- Can’t Update or Change Email Password on iPhone, Here’s How To Fix
- How To Remove Stuck Email from your OutBox
- Eleven iOS Mail Tips to Get You Going
Are Yahoo Mail Servers Down?
Before you start a potentially lengthy troubleshooting process, it’s a good idea to take a look and see if Yahoo is currently experiencing any service issues.
Deleted Yahoo Mail Account from Your iPhone or iPad and Now Can’t Add It Back?
Yup, you guessed it–that’s usually a Server problem.
Can’t Sign In To Your Yahoo Email and It Says Your Password is Incorrect?
This is a common error when the servers go down. So double check your password and if you’re confident it’s correct, make sure you check the status of the servers.
If you check and don’t see any reported problems or outages in your area, move on to the troubleshooting steps listed below.
Can’t Get Passed the Yahoo Mail Welcome Screen?
That’s another sign that there is a problem with Yahoo’s Servers or the communications between Apple’s Mail servers and Yahoo.
We recommend looking at sites like Down Detector and typing in Yahoo Mail (for some sites, you need to enter mail.yahoo.com) into the search bar or tapping on the Yahoo! Mail logo, if available.
In sites like Down Detector, you can see user reported problems within the last 24 hours.
There’s also a Live Outage Map to give you a quick snapshot of the problems around the globe.
Try the Yahoo Mail App for iOS or the Web Version
Oftentimes, the problem is with the communication between Yahoo’s Servers and Apple’s Mail Servers.
So try logging in through the Yahoo Mail App or through an internet browser of your choice (such as Safari, Chrome, or Firefox) on your Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPad.
Start with Changing Yahoo Mail Security Settings
- The first thing to do when faced with this issue is to change a setting on your yahoo mail profile by logging into yahoo.com via a web browser (not an app)
- Once you have logged onto Yahoo mail using your browser, tap on the account security settings
- Here turn on the option Allow Apps that use less secure Sign in
Now that the setting has been tackled on the Yahoo side of things, you need to make the following changes on your iPhone to get things working.
Please follow the 10 steps below.
10 Steps To Fix Yahoo Mail Not Updating on iPhone X Series
- Quit the Apple Mail on your iPhone if you have it opened.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings > Passwords & Accounts (or Accounts and Passwords), tap on your Yahoo mail account
- Choose ‘Delete Account’ in Red font and confirm
- This removes the existing yahoo account from your iPhone, but you still have access to all your emails on the yahoo server
- Restart your iPhone
- Resume the process of adding a new email account to your phone by going to Settings > Accounts > Passwords and choose Add Account
- On this screen, instead of tapping on Yahoo, choose ‘other’ at the bottom of the list.
- Tap on ‘ Add Mail Account’ under ‘MAIL’ subheading
- Enter the details including your yahoo email address and credentials and tap on ‘Next’ at the top right of the screen.
- On this ‘New Account Screen,’ enter exactly as shown in the image below for Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server. Tap on next.
- Now you will have your new Yahoo email configured on your iPhone
This should allow you to go back to this mailbox and check your emails and you should see them updating.
Switch Your Fetch Settings
Some users report that the updates work for some time and then pause all of a sudden. If you are facing that issue, you can try to switch the fetch settings to manual.
- On the Accounts and Passwords screen
- Tap on Fetch New Data and under FETCH set it to Manually
Once you have done this, when you are in the mail account, just scroll down the screen from the top of the iPhone, and it should update your mailbox with the latest emails.
This is by far not the best solution but is a workaround. We hope that Yahoo and Apple work together to get this issue fixed as many of us use Yahoo mail on our iPhones. The other resort is to use the Yahoo mail app on your iPhone until this issue is sorted out.
If you have found a better way to deal with this issue, please let us know in the comments below. Hope the step-by-step solution here was helpful to you.