We have seen many email related issues over the years on iPhone, that are easily fixed by deleting the account and re-installing it but the recent yahoo mail issue is somewhat totally out of the left field.
What is even weirder is that it impacts a handful of iPhone X users. I didn’t run into any issues with an older iPhone 5C but the Yahoo mail experience goes for a toss on my new iPhone X.
After speaking to yahoo support at length, I have finally found a few tips that work other than installing the yahoo mail app on your iphone X.
If you are seeing your yahoo mail not update on your iPhone X, you are not alone, there’s a plenty of folks reporting this issue on the yahoo technical support forum.
Start with Changing Yahoo Mail Security Settings
The first thing to do when faced with this issue is to change a setting on your yahoo mail profile by logging into yahoo.com. Once you have logged onto Yahoo mail using your browser, tap on the account security settings. Here turn on the option ‘Allow Apps that use less secure Sign in “.
Ironic, that Yahoo which had its email compromised for millions of users would want us Apple Mail users to do this step!
- Eleven iOS 11 Mail Tips to Get You Going
- Cant Update or Change Email Password on iPhone, Here’s How To Fix
- How To Remove Stuck Email from your OutBox
Now that the setting has been tackled on the yahoo side of things, you will need to make the following changes on your iPhone to get things working. Please follow the steps below.
10 Steps To Fix Yahoo Mail Not Updating on iPhone X
- Quit the Apple Mail on your iPhone if you have it opened.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings > Accounts and Passwords, tap on your Yahoo mail account
- Choose ‘Delete Account’ in Red font and confirm. This will remove the existing yahoo account from your iPhone but you will still have access to all your mails on the yahoo server.
- Restart your iPhone
- Resume the process of adding a new email account to your iphone by going to Settings > Accounts > Passwords and choose ‘Add Account’
- On this screen, instead of tapping on Yahoo, choose ‘other’ at the bottom of the list.
- Tap on ‘ Add Mail Account’ under ‘MAIL’ sub heading
- Enter the details including your yahoo email address and credentials and tap on ‘Next’ at the top right of the screen.
- On this ‘New Account Screen’, enter exactly as shown in the image below for Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server. Tap on next.
- Now you will have your new Yahoo email configured on your iPhone
This should allow you to go back to this mailbox and check your emails and you should see them updating.
Some users report that the updates work for some time and then pause all of a sudden. If you are facing that issue, you can try to switch the fetch settings to manual.
On the Accounts and passwords screen, tap on Fetch New Data and under FETCH set it to manually. Once you have done this, when you are in the mail account, simply scroll down the screen from the top of the iPhone and it should update your mailbox with the latest emails.
This is by far not the best solution but is a workaround. We hope that Yahoo and Apple work together to get this issue fixed as many of us use Yahoo mail on our iPhones. The other resort is to use the Yahoo mail app on your iPhone till this issue is sorted out.
If you have found a better way to deal with this issue, please let us know in the comments below. Hope the step-by-step solution here was helpful to you.