In this guide, we’ll show you how to share your Wi-Fi connection from your iPhone to any other device—be it Apple, Android, or otherwise. This quick tip makes it easy to get friends connected or set up new devices on your network. You’ll never need to worry about misspelling or finding that cryptic Wi-Fi password again!
- How to Connect Your Apple TV Without Wi-Fi
- Airdrop: How to Share Files Between a Mac and iOS
- 11 Tips to Make You More Productive in iOS 11
- 5G Is Coming, But Will Your iPhone Be Ready?
Hunting down the Wi-Fi password can be a real pain. Whether you’ve got friends wanting to get online or a new device set up—there always seems to be some reason the cryptic code is needed. These days most Wi-Fi routers come with useful cards that tell you the network name and password; but if you’re anything like me, remembering where you last put the card is as easy as remembering the 16-digit code itself!
Fortunately, there’s a better way. Using savvy iOS improvements and innovative new Apps, it’s possible to share your Wi-Fi connection quickly and easily to any devices that need it—be they Apple products or otherwise.
The release of iOS 11 and OS X High Sierra brought with it a sly improvement to sharing Wi-Fi connections. Apple designed it, as they do with all their services, to be as intuitive and pain-free as possible.
If everything works correctly you’ll simply be prompted to share your Wi-Fi password as soon as someone to connect to your network. This should work for iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple Watches, and Macs. Anything Apple!
Unfortunately, as with all things, it isn’t always this simple. That’s why we’ve laid out a step-by-step guide below that will iron out any issues you may be experiencing.
- If the new device is a friend’s, add them to your iPhone contacts
- Turn on Bluetooth for both devices
- Ensure your iPhone is unlocked and connected to the network
- With both devices nearby, attempt to connect the new device to the network
- Tap Share Password when prompted on your iPhone
- The new device will automatically populate the password field and connect to Wi-Fi
With the exciting and varied world we live in, not everybody has an Apple device, so what about connecting Android devices to your network? Don’t worry, we can help with that too! Though it does take a little bit more groundwork beforehand.
The easiest way to share your Wi-Fi connection with non-Apple devices is to create a QR Code with your network information in it. Don’t worry, this is simpler than it sounds—it also has the benefit of keeping your network details secure from prying eyes! Simply follow the steps below to get started.
Step-by-Step Guide to Create a Wi-Fi QR Code for Android Devices
- Download a QR Code generator, we used Qrafter
- Create a Wi-Fi Network QR Code
- Enter your SSID (Network Name) and Password—find these on your router
- Save the QR Code and share it with your friends
- When they scan it, their Android device will automatically connect to your Wi-Fi
There you have it—now you know how to share your Wi-Fi connection from your iPhone. It’s never been easier to get connected and you can finally say goodbye to the days of misspelling your password five times in a row! Or is that just me?