Some users who recently updated their iOS to the latest version on their iPhone keep seeing a message to “Update Apple Id Phone Number” in the Settings app. Clicking on the alert doesn’t help and it spins for a while and then the Settings App is not usable. Even when you switch off your iPhone and Switch it back, it is still there.
- Why Does my iPhone / iPad ask me to log in using a Different Apple ID? How can I fix
- Apple ID Disabled Due to Security Reasons, Here are some things you can do
- How to Fix a Disabled Apple ID
- 25 Favorite iOS 12 Tips and Tricks that Actually Work
If you are experiencing this issue, here are a few suggestions that have helped others when faced with this issue after the latest iOS update on their iPhone or iPad.
How-To Fix Update Apple Id Phone Number Message in Settings, iOS 12
- Double Press the home button quickly and kill the stuck Settings App on your iPhone (Using App switcher)
- If you have not done a reset after the iOS update, go ahead and do a hard reset of your iPhone
- Once your iPhone /iPad starts up, launch the Settings App and turn off FaceTime and iMessage
- Next, In Settings, Tap on your Apple Id followed by a tap on Password and Security
- Choose the ‘Edit Trusted Number’ option on this next screen
- Delete the number. It will ask you to add a new trusted number before removing the existing one. Tap on Continue to add your number.
- For the first time around, add in your existing number. If after following these steps, you still see the alert message on your settings, then you can enter a random phone number as a trusted number and continue the steps.
- You can always go back and update the trusted number to your real number once this issue is resolved
- Choose Text message to verify and enter the 6-digit verification code on the screen.
- Once complete, switch off your iPhone and Restart and you should no longer see the error message on your Settings App
- Turn on your FaceTime and iMessage that you switched off in Step 3 above.
- For some users, the above series of steps only works when they switch off their Wi-Fi on their iPhone and use cellular to complete the steps
Apple ID Verification Message Keeps Showing up after iOS 12
This is another issue related with Apple Id and iOS 12. This had also shown up in some instances of iOS 11. If you happen to get bombarded with this message, simply follow the steps highlighted above and contact information again for your Apple ID.
In some rare cases, re-updating the contact information for Apple Id in Settings doesn’t work and in those cases, you will need to backup your iPhone, Reset All Settings using Settings > General > Reset and then restore your iPhone using the backup.
We hope that you found the tips above helpful. We are not sure why this error message shows up even when you have the correct phone number listed for your Apple ID. The workaround listed above seems to be helping users.
Please let us know if you have any questions in the comments below.