- 0.1 In iOS 12, Apple has added some new features to make using your phone more healthy. These include things like Screen Time, which allows you to keep track of how often you use your phone and limit usage.
- 0.2 Here’s how it works:
- 0.3 Step 1: Enabling Do Not Disturb Bedtime Mode
- 0.4 Step 2: Enabling the Good Morning Widget
- 1 Allow Calls From Specified Contacts During Scheduled BedTime and Do Not Disturb
In iOS 12, Apple has added some new features to make using your phone more healthy. These include things like Screen Time, which allows you to keep track of how often you use your phone and limit usage.
Another one of these things is the new Good Morning lock screen in iOS 12, which shows the day’s Weather and events when you first get up.
- How to Use the New Do Not Disturb Bedtime Mode in iOS 12
- Common iOS 12 Problems and How to Fix Them
- Notification Changes in iOS 12, Here’s what we Know
The Primary idea behind the Good Morning Greeting screen is
The idea is that rather than having the lock screen immediately explode with notifications in the morning, you get to wake up and be greeted by a calm message that eases you into the day before you move on to missed notifications and everything else.
Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Enabling Do Not Disturb Bedtime Mode
For starters: What is Do Not Disturb?
Do Not Disturb will automatically silence calls and notifications during a specified period. In iOS 12, it can easily be enabled using a force touch action in the control center.
When this is enabled, the only time a call will make an alert noise will go through is under one of two circumstances: A select person or people that you can whitelist, or when a second call occurs very close to the first indicating an emergency.
The feature is great and allows for an easy way to silence your phone without having to toggle through sound and notification settings.
By visiting the Settings app and then heading to Do Not Disturb in iOS 12, you can schedule a time for Do Not Disturb to enable each day.
This is meant to be enabled during sleeping periods for you to not be interrupted.
What you’ll also see is a toggle for the new Bedtime mode.
Enabling this will not only allow Do Not Disturb but will dim the lock screen dramatically and automatically push notification to the Notification Center.
This way, if you try and distract yourself by reading your phone at night, you won’t be able to.
Step 2: Enabling the Good Morning Widget
Once you have Do Not Disturb During Bedtime, you are pretty much good to go for the new Good Morning lock screen.
Make sure to have enabled Bedtime mode from the steps above. Then, go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> Weather, and make sure always is selected.
From here, you will now be able to see a new “Good Morning” screen whenever you wake up, that will give you an idea of your day, including weather and events.
As of now, the screen will only appear the first time you look at your phone after your Do Not Disturb window ending, but we hope Apple expands the feature over time.
The screen also gets cleared when notifications pop in.
Allow Calls From Specified Contacts During Scheduled BedTime and Do Not Disturb
If you want calls from your parents, children, friends, boss or co-workers to come through, even when BedTime Mode or Do Not Disturb is on, you can do that.
Under Settings> Do Not Disturb, scroll to Phone > Allow Calls From.
Here specify if you want your Favorite contacts, No One, Everyone, or even specific groups to get through.
How to make a contact a favorite on an iPhone
- Open Phone App
- Tap Favorites in the lower left of the bottom menu
- Tap the Plus Sign to add a new contact to your list of favorites
Using a Phone With 3D Touch?
If you have an iPhone with 3D Touch, there’s another option to show some of your favorite contacts.
- Go to your Home Screen
- 3D Touch and Press on the icon for the Phone app
- Your top 3-4 favorite contacts display with their picture (if applicable) and name
- These are the top people on your Favorites list