Trying to read your latest book with Apple Books or iBooks and are stuck on the cover page or cannot get past the first page or another page of the book? If so, you are not alone. Quite a few of our readers report this behavior with Apple Books (also called iBooks) over the years, most particularly just after updating their iOS.
If your book is frozen on the cover page, or any other page, we got you covered.
So let’s get to it!
- How To Use Books in iOS 12, essentials
- Apple Books or iBooks Missing After Latest Update? How To Fix
- Books or iBooks Not Downloading and Other Related Problems with Apple Books
Try a Restart
The first tip is to simply restart your device. Power it down, wait a few moments, and power back up.
If a restart didn’t help, next try a forced restart
- On an iPhone 6S or below plus all iPads & iPod Touches, press Home and Power at the same time until you see the Apple logo
- For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo
- On an iPhone X, XS, or XR or iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo
Quite a few of our readers found success with this tip.
If Apple Books or iBooks is stuck on a single page
- Open the iTunes App on the device where Books is stuck
- Tap the Search button at the bottom of the screen
- Search for any free book–if you can’t think of one, try an Apple Support guide like iPhone or iPad User Guide(s)
- Select Books from the top tab options
- Choose a free book from the list
- Tap the GET button to download
- Once downloaded, tap on the READ button
- The book that is stuck should close and the free book you just downloaded should open in Apple Books
Open a Book Via Safari
Another option is to download a book via Safari
- Open Safari on the device where the book is frozen
- Type the name of a free book or pdf in the search bar–we suggest something like the iPhone User Guide or another Apple product guide since there is always an Apple Books version available
- From the search results, tap a result to open
- Once the book or pdf displays on your screen, select the Share Button
- Choose Copy to Books (or iBooks)
- May also be called Save to Books
- Apple Books should open that new pdf or book, replacing the one that’s stuck
Optional: Delete the Problem Book(s)
Once you are able to use Apple Books (iBooks) normally, you might consider deleting the books that got stuck and downloading it again.
Remove Book from Apple Books and iBooks Library
- Open Apple Books App (or iBooks)
- Tap Library from the bottom tabs
- Locate the book(s) causing problems and tap the three dots below the book in the lower-right
- Choose Remove from the list of options
- To remove just from that device, select Remove Download
- Select Delete everywhere to remove the book from iCloud and all connected devices–this removes the book completely from your list of books
- Tap the Cloud icon to download the book again to your device
- Or tap the three dots and choose Download
Can’t Find your Books and Purchases?
The Books app should contain all the documents that were previously stored in your iBooks app
- First, look in your Apple Book’s Library by selecting the Library Tab at the bottom
- If you still don’t see your content in the app, go to the Reading Now Tab at the bottom
- Then tap the profile icon in the upper-right corner
- From that menu choose My Purchases or Family Purchases to locate your items
- Tap Not on this [device], then tap All Books or All Audiobooks
- Find the book or audiobook that you want to download, then tap the cloud icon
- The item should download to your device
Look In Your Apple Books Collections
Another option is to tap the Library tab at the bottom of the Apple Books app, then tap on your Collections towards the top of your screen.
Select your missing content type (like Books, Audiobooks, PDFs, and so forth.)
Check for your missing items and redownload them if available.