Many users like to use their own album artwork for their music in iTunes. Some readers have said that when they are trying to add artwork to tracks/albums with iTunes 12, they are unable to do so as the Add Artwork is grayed out and not accessible.
If you are experiencing this issue with iTunes, here are a few tips that should help you.
Add Artwork Button Grayed Out in iTunes
Please check each of the steps below to see if it helps with your issue.
- Check if the song/album has been downloaded to your computer or is it only on the iCloud. The cloud button on the right side would suggest you would need to download it. Right Click and choose ‘Download’. Once it has downloaded you should be able to change the artwork via the ‘Add Artwork’ button
- If the media is locally available on your machine, and you are still unable to access the Add Artwork function, start by checking the permissions. You may not have the right permissions to change the artwork in iTunes.
- Right Click on any track and choose ‘ Show in Finder’
- Once the item opens up in Finder, right click and choose ‘Get Info’
- Here you will need to scroll down to the bottom of the information and locate ‘Sharing and Permissions’
- If you have only ‘Read Only’ permissions, you will not be able to use the ‘Add Artwork’ feature. Click on the lock icon, enter your credentials and change this to ‘Read and Write’.
- Click on the lock icon again once you are done with the changes.
- Now you can go back and try adding the artwork to the album
- One other item to note while adding Album artwork in iTunes is the file type. In older iTunes, people had challenges using the ‘.WAV’ file type. If you are trying to use this, you may instead want to convert it to ‘.AIF’ and then try adding the Artwork. AIF is lossless so you shouldn’t have an issue.
Where is the Find Album Artwork function in iTunes
If you recently upgraded to new iTunes and you were used to Find Album Artwork, you will not be able to find that function. That has now been replaced with ‘ Get Album Artwork’ in the newer iTunes.
We are using iTunes 12.9 running on macOS Mojave for the purposes of this article. Right Click on the Album and you should be able to access the Get Album Artwork function.
How to Add Album Artwork in iTunes 12.9 and above
This functionality has not changed in the newer iTunes. Right click on an album itunes and choose ‘ Album Info’. Next, open the Artwork tab on the top. The function to ‘Add Artwork is at the bottom left of the screen.
When you are viewing Songs, you will need to right click and choose ‘Song info’ followed by the Artwork tab at the top to access the feature.
We hope that you found this short article helpful! Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.