[Update 03/31/19: Apple has since announced they’ve cancelled the AirPower charger indefinitely. We’ve gathered more information about the cancellation right here.]
Originally published 03/20/19:
Apple may announce a 7th-generation iPod touch and the long-awaited AirPower wireless charger before the end of the week, according to a source close to AppleToolBox. The news comes after Cupertino’s announcement of new iPads, iMacs, and 2nd-generation AirPods earlier this week.
We reported yesterday that AirPods 2 would arrive this week, however, we erroneously reported the iPod touch would be announced today and the new AirPods tomorrow. It appears we had this reversed.
The unprecedented week of product launches comes just before Apple prepares to unveil its push into services at an event on Monday. The company will show off news and video subscription services, as well as a new Apple credit card and payment program.
Here’s the latest we’ve heard from various sources:
- Both AirPods and AirPower were supposed to launch last September as we originally reported in January. However, Apple opted to delay both of them due to further AirPower glitches. We had heard multiple times that the release of AirPods 2nd-generation was dependent on AirPower, and now that they are a reality it makes the likelihood of AirPower much higher.
- AirPower entered into production at the end of last year and is imminent, with a release prior to the end of Spring, very likely this week, with one source continuing to claim Friday.
- AirPower will only be able to charge two devices at a time, unlike the originally promised three, according to one source. The overlapping coil system of AirPower that allowed it to charge three devices was the main cause of the delay. It is also unclear whether Apple Watch will be supported in the shipped model.
- iPod touch 7th generation was originally planned to launch today. Apple had originally been planning just three days of new products, but when AirPower/AirPods appeared ready rearranged the schedule.
- iPod touch 7th generation is still expected before end of week. A12, more RAM, same price/design/configurations.
We will update if any information changes before tomorrow.