Coming as no surprise, Apple now offers three new graphics cards modules for the Intel-powered Mac Pro. Previously, rumors speculated that this would come sometime this year, as Apple can now shift gears towards the rumored M1-powered Mac Pro.
When using the configuration tool, the Mac Pro can now be configured with one of the three new AMD Radeon Pro graphics modules. These include the Radeon Pro W6800X, W6800X Duo, and W6900X. Here’s how pricing will break down if you add one of the new modules during the initial configuration.
- Radeon Pro W6800X MPX Module with 32GB of GDDR6 memory: $2,400
- Radeon Pro W6800X Duo MPX Module with 64GB of GDDR6 memory: $4,600
- Radeon Pro W6900X MPX Module with 32GB of GDDR6 memory: $5,600
For those of you who are current 2020 Mac Pro owners, you’re not out of luck. Shortly after adding the different configurations, Apple made all three modules available for purchase separately from its online storefront.
- Radeon Pro W6800X MPX Module – $2,800
- Radeon Pro W6800X Duo MPX Module – $5,000
- Radeon Pro W6900X MPX Module – $6,000
As you can see, there is about a $400 “premium” if you opt to purchase the modules separately. It’s not entirely unheard of, but it can be rather disappointing, especially if you’ve owned your Mac Pro for awhile now.
According to CNN Underscored‘s Jake Krol, these new AMD graphics modules can offer up to 23% faster performance in DaVinci Resolve. Performance in Octane X is also greatly boosted, as you can expect to see 84% faster results.
Apple offers a bit of a description for each of these models, so you know what you’re getting:
- AMD Radeon Pro W6800X
- For workstation-class graphics and demanding pro applications, choose the AMD Radeon Pro W6800X with 32GB of GDDR6 memory delivering up to 512GB/s memory bandwidth. This graphics option features AMD’s RDNA2 architecture, delivering up to 16.0 teraflops of single-precision or 32.0 teraflops of half-precision computing. It supports up to six 4K displays, three 5K displays, or three Pro Display XDRs.
- AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo MPX Module
- To push your graphics performance even further, choose the Radeon Pro W6800X Duo MPX Module, which is ideal for even the most demanding multi-GPU pro applications. The module has two W6800X GPUs, each with 32GB of GDDR6 memory delivering up to 512GB/s memory bandwidth. The two GPUs are connected onboard with Infinity Fabric Link, and two W6800X Duo modules can be bridged to allow four W6800X GPUs to communicate.
- AMD Radeon Pro W6900X
- For the maximum workstation-class graphics and demanding pro applications, choose the AMD Radeon Pro W6900X with 32GB of GDDR6 memory delivering up to 512GB/s memory bandwidth. This graphics option features AMD’s RDNA2 architecture, delivering up to 22.2 teraflops of single-precision or 44.4 teraflops of half-precision computing. It supports up to six 4K displays, three 5K displays, or three Pro Display XDRs.
All of these modules are available for purchase starting today. You can choose to either configure your Mac Pro with the new AMD modules, or purchase them after-the-fact.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.