Apple has rolled out the latest WatchOS 3 which is much faster and zippier than the previous OS. This comes out as Apple released the new Apple Watch Series 2. Fortunately, you do not have to get the new watch to use OS 3. You can get the latest OS on first Apple Watch as well. The apps will launch faster and there is a new dock button and multiple watch faces to swipe. The new OS has been out for some time now and you should be able to update your unit to take advantage of the new features.
If you do not see WatchOS 3 update available, it is because your iPhone does not have the latest iOS 10. Yes, you will need to update your phone to the latest iOS in order to get WatchOS 3 in your watch. You need to update the WatchOS from your iPhone. Here is what you do:
- Update to iOS 10 and perhaps restart both your iPhone and Watch. You can find that in Settings> General > Software Update. The iOS 10 update is quite large so make sure you have ample space.
- The Watch has to be connected to a charger and near your iPhone. If your iPhone’s battery is low, plug that in too. (If the devices have 50% battery charged or more you probably will not have to plug in. However, it is recommended that you do.)
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Settings> General > Software Update.
- You will see WatchOS 3 update for installation. Tap Download and Install. You might be prompted to provide passcode.
- The update will first be downloaded and then installed on your watch.
- Now the process will be the same as updating iOS i.e. you will see messages appearing without the need of any input from you. It will take a while and then the watch will restart by itself. During this time, you need to be patient as it can take over an hour easily and even more if the connection is slow.
- If the Steps above didn’t work for you, you may need to un-pair and re-pair the watch with your iPhone.
Once your watch has restarted after installation, you are ready to explore and use the amazing new WatchOS 3. It has a lot of new things on offer including an app called Breathe. Should there still be problems recognizing watchOS 3 or installing it, you can try following tips:
- Reboot both your iPhone and Apple Watch.
- Remove all existing profiles and create a new one and then again reboot the devices.
- Use a VPN and try to download the update.
In most cases updating to iOS 10 would be enough to get latest watchOS. Make sure to read about both the updates before switching. Early adopters sometimes have to deal with the typical first release bugs in the OS. Several users have noted battery drainage issues after updating their watch into watchOS 3. If you are experiencing issues with battery drainage, please be sure to read our tips and tricks article on battery performance.
Both iOS 10 and Watch OS 3 have some fundamental changes in design as well as other features. Apple is consistently tinkering with the watch to make it more user friendly and more energy efficient.