Apple’s new iOS TV app is performing better with consumers than critics expected. With a remodeled App Store, the fourth-generation iOS TV 13 comes with loads of user-friendly features, including family sharing capabilities.
Apart from the Mac platform, Apple TV is the second app to fully embrace multi-user support. You can now connect multiple iCloud accounts via the Family Sharing feature.
Where to Find the iOS TV app
The iOS TV app is available from the App Store on iPhone and iPad devices. You can use it on your MacBook or Mac desktop if you are running macOS Catalina and later. Apple has configured iOS TV to work on third-party devices as it would on their own devices. Layout and functionality are identical. The only significant difference is how it handles content from outside of Apple.
What is iOS TV app Family Sharing?
Family sharing enables members to share iOS apps and features. This includes AppStore purchases, iTunes, Apple Books, and much more. The feature is also useful for locating another member’s device, much like Find My iPhone.
Setting up Family Sharing on Apple TV app
Before you can integrate Family Sharing with iOS TV, you’ll have to set up a Family Sharing account. An adult with a verifiable credit card is required to act as an account administrator. This person will be responsible for adding or removing members and for any changes made to the connected iOS TV. You can grant up to six family members access to the system using the Home app.
- Go to your iPhone or iPad and select Apple Menu > Family Sharing.
- Agree to be the person responsible for the Family Sharing group and confirm purchase authorizations.
- Next, invite family members into the iOS TV app group.
During this set-up process, you are required to select at least one iOS to share with family members. You should include Apple TV as a shareable option. This automatically gives other members access to the iOS TV channel.
In case you don’t opt for Apple TV, you can still enable sharing from any other iOS device.
Sharing Integration in iOS TV app from Apple Devices
Once you’ve set up Family Sharing and invited members, you can share content.
- Grab your iPhone or iPad and sign in to iOS Family Sharing.
- Open Settings > Apple ID Settings. Apple ID displays your iCloud details.
- Under Apple ID, tap on Family Sharing and choose to Add a Family Member. As the sharing administrator, you have five open slots, and so long as you have space, you can add a family member at any time.
- Once you’ve given a family member access to the iOS TV app, you can toggle the ON/OFF button labeled TV Channels to share content.
For Apple TV Plus, you have to share your subscribed channels with every member of your family group.
- To see all the TV channels that you’ve subscribed to, select Channels > TV Channels. The next page will display all your iOS TV app subscriptions.
- After sharing the channels, move out of the Settings app.
- Check to see whether the iOS TV content is available on the apps of other shared Family Group members.
Sharing Integration in iOS TV app from Mac OS
A macOS computer may be the device at hand to share your Apple TV content.
- On your MacBook laptop or Mac desktop, open System Preferences > Family Sharing.
- Click on TV Channels and find Apple TV to ensure it’s on your list of shared content. If it’s not, then toggle the ON/OFF button to enable it.
Not every program is shareable on Apple’s Family Sharing. Some content can be hidden by group members, while others may come with file or app restrictions.
Viewing and Downloading Other Members Purchased iOS TV app Content
Viewing and downloading programs that other family members have purchased is the biggest advantage of the Family Sharing iOS TV app integration.
- If you are the administrator or Family Group organizer, log into the app using an Apple device.
- If you are not the admin, select Account > Purchases or Purchased.
- Select your account’s name next to the Purchased tab and select the family member whose content you’d like to view. You will see a display of all their subscriptions and downloaded purchases.
- To download content from that member, click the Download button.
- View the content you’ve downloaded from other members, as well as your own purchases, from the left-hand sidebar, under Downloaded.
Though you’ll no longer be able to sneak shows — since everyone in your family group can essentially see what you’re watching — this integration is still a great way to watch television as a family, even if you’re not in the same room. You also don’t have to worry about paying for something twice. Just share!