Actiontec routers supplied with Verizon FIOS accounts appear to be among the most susceptible to a series of iPad Wi-Fi issues–particularly repeated drops–that continue to affect users.
It now appears that changing two key settings can dramatically reduce the number of drops with these routers or eliminate the drops altogether. Follow these steps:
- Login to your router’s configuration page by opening a browser window and entering the address 192.168.1.1 (you may need to enter the username: admin and password: password1)
- Change the channel from automatic to 6
- Change the security setting from WEP to WPA
- Apply the changes, which will cause your router to reset
- Turn your iPad off then back on
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.