iOS 12 is out, but it seems that folks are still finding new features including some nice iOS 12 Podcast App features for headphones and your car!
- Setup and Use Podcast App Using Your Apple Watch
- Play Podcasts Continuously Using iOS 12 and 11
- Common iOS 12 Problems and How to Fix Them
- How to use the iOS 12 Do Not Disturb Features
- 25 Favorite iOS 12 Tips that Actually Work
- 10 Siri improvements in iOS 12
- Shortcuts for iOS 12 First Look
Podcast App’s Remote Control for Headphones and Car
One such instance comes in the form of the “Remote Control” section in Apple’s Podcasts app. With iOS 12, either skip forward/back within an episode or choose next/previous to play or replay an episode in your Podcast queue.
This new section is named “External Controls” for headphone and car controls
- There are two options
- Skip Forward/Back
- Manually pick which option you want to be selected.
Additionally, Apple is making it possible to perform either task with your headphones or if you are connected to your car
There were some folks who updated to iOS 12 and were confused by exactly what was going on.
So in order to change the settings yourself, here is what you will need to do
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and select Podcasts
- Scroll down and tap either “Next/Previous” or “Skip Forward/Back“
- Go back to the Home Page
Moving forward, you will then be able to skip ahead within the episode, or automatically skip to the next podcast in the queue.
Play Your Podcasts with CarPlay
- Touch the App on your CarPlay equipped vehicle, Ask Siri, or use the knobs and buttons in the car that control your screen. They all work!
- Use Siri or open Podcasts to play the podcasts that are on your paired iPhone
- To Ask Siri.
- Say something like: “Play My Favorite Murder podcast” or “Skip ahead (or back) 30 seconds”
Don’t Want Podcast App Showing Up in CarPlay?
If you don’t use the Podcasts App, disable it in the Screen Time’s Content & Privacy Restrictions on your iPhone.
The next time you get in your car and connect to your phone, the Podcast app should not show up in CarPlay.
If you have run into issues with the Podcasts app, then sound off in the comments section below and we’ll be more than happy to assist.
In the meantime, if you are running the latest iOS 12 and see anything other changes let us know!
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.