Criminals have been stealing iPads or iPhones for years. In fact, stealing iOS electronic devices like an iPad or iPhone is becoming more and more common, this has been given a nick name “Apple Picking”. So how can you protect iPhones and iPads from Apple Picking?
- Keep your iPhone or iPad tucked away out of public view.
- Sign up for iCloud (How to sign up for iCloud)
- Turn on the “Find My iPhone” feature on your device (How to configure Find My iPhone: iCloud)
- Secure your iOS device (Secure your iOS device (iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch): How to protect your information and data)
- Enable restrictions (enabling restrictions) and tap Settings > General > Restrictions > Location Services and tap “Don’t Allow Changes” . This way, it is now not possible for a thief to select Settings > iCloud and turn off the “Find My Phone” app. So that if your device is stolen, you can go to iCloud.com and locate your device, send a message or erase everything (My device (Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod) was stolen or lost; what should I do?).
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.