One of the new features of iOS 6 is the availability of parental controls in iBooks. If you turn this feature on, books labeled as containing sexually explicit content will NOT be available for buying, reading or downloading.
How to enable parental control in iBooks and Book Store:
- If you have not already, enable Restrictions (or parental controls) by tapping Settings > General > Restriction. Then enter a passcode. Please see this article for more information on parental controls on iOS devices.
- Tap Settings > General > Restrictions > Books on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
- Toggle Explicit Sexual Content off
Once you do this, you will enable the following for books that have sexually explicit content:
- Buy/download/sample buttons will be not active
- Book images will not shown (they have usually explicit images)
- Detail page will say this message: “This book contains explicit sexual content”
If you are an adult and you want to download a blocked book, then you will need to disable this parental restriction.
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.