Several users have reported that the iPhone 5 camera flash does not work properly; specifically, the flash goes on right before or after the photo is taken, thus flash has no effect on pictures taken and they subsequently come out black or very dark. In other words, the flash is not synchronized with the camera shot.
To resolve this, try following tips. Check after performing each tip if your issue is fixed:
- Disable location services in privacy settings (Settings > Privacy > Location Services)
- Restart your camera app by double clicking the home button, tapping and holding the camera icon and tapping the red minus sign.
- If your iPhone has any case on it, remove it and try again.
- Restart your iPhone by pressing and holding the on/off button then slide the slider.
- Reset your iPhone by pressing and holding on/off button and home button together for about 10 seconds (ignore the slider).
- Do a DFU reset (Using DFU Restore to Solve iPhone Problems).
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.