Some users have reported that the iPhone or iPad’s Photos app crashes or freezes, either right after it is opened or when scrolling through a large list of pictures
4 Rs. This problem may be resolved by following the first three of the 4 Rs, as described in ouriPhone 4 troubleshooting guide. This list of escalating fixes that can solve a surprisingly large number of iPhone 4 problems. Try solution #1 first; if it’s not successful, try #2; if #2 is not successful, try #3.
- Reboot (hard reset). Hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons simultaneously for roughly 15-20 seconds, until the screen powers off then an Apple logo appears, which signifies a reboot. Some problems may require (oddly) that this procedure is performed twice.
- Reset all settings. It appears that the reset may restore disengaged hardware components and clear corrupt data that prevents proper operation. Navigate to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will erase stored messages, passwords and other information.
- Restore, but not from backup. Ba holdover data from iPhone backups (especially those created for previous iPhone models) can cause various issues. Restoring as a new phone will delete contacts and other data, but may resolve the problem. To do so, connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your computer, click “Restore” in iTunes, then choose “setup as new phone.”
Delete .thm files. Follow these steps:
- Download the free demo of PhoneView
- Navigate to Preferences and turned on Advanced mode.
- Navigate to the folder on the iPhone called “DCIM” and open the folder”101″
- Delete all files with the extension “.thm” or delete the folder “101” entirely
- Restart your iPhone
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the original editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.