Why it took so long for Apple to update watchOS to include a built-in calculator is a mystery. But with the release of watchOS 6, Apple Watch wearers can do calculations from their wrist and that’s not all.
The handy Calculator app on Apple Watch gives you quick ways to split the check with a pal and calculate a tip with ease. We’re going to show you how this all works so that you’re ready the next time you head out for a night on the town.
More help with Apple Watch:
- Calendar complication not working with watchOS 6 & Apple Watch? Fix it now
- Not Getting App Notifications on Apple Watch? Check these tips
- How to export Apple Health data from your iPhone and Apple Watch
Perform a calculation
First and foremost, make sure that you’ve updated your Apple Watch to watchOS 6 or later. Then, open your app grid or list and tap Calculator.
The nifty little calculator on your wrist lets you perform basic equations including percentage along with positive and negative numbers.
If you don’t see the Percent button, use Force Touch and tap Percent.
Figure out a tip
If you’re out for dinner, using a valet, or checking bags at the airport, you can quickly figure out a tip with the Calculator app on Apple Watch.
- Open the app and use Force Touch to select Tip Function.
- Enter the amount of the bill and then tap Tip.
- Turn the Digital Crown to adjust the percentage of the tip you’d like to give.
You’ll see the tip amount as well as the total price when you finish.
Split the check
If the dinner you’re having is with a friend or two, you can easily split the bill with the Calculator app too.
- Open the Calculator and make sure you see the Tip button as described above.
- Enter the amount of the bill and tap Tip.
- Tap the People field and turn the Digital Crown until you arrive at the number of people in your party.
You’ll see how much each person is responsible to pay. And you can figure out the tip at the same time, if you like.
It’s great that Apple Watch owners finally have a stock Calculator app. And the extra features for splitting the check and figuring out a tip make it even better.
Are you an Apple Watch wearer happy to see the Calculator app? Let us know what other features of watchOS 6 you’ve been enjoying!
Sandy worked for many years in the IT industry as a project manager, department manager, and PMO Lead. She then decided to follow her dream and now writes about technology full-time. Sandy holds a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology.
She loves technology– specifically – terrific games and apps for iOS, software that makes your life easier, and productivity tools that you can use every day, in both work and home environments.
Her articles have regularly been featured at MakeUseOf, iDownloadBlog and many other leading tech publications.