When the Apple Watch Ultra was introduced, it was immediately clear that this isn’t like other Apple Watch models in the company’s lineup. From the Titanium chassis to the completely overhauled design, and the addition of more speakers and an Action Button, the Watch Ultra is in a league of its own. And while the Apple Watch Ultra might not be meant for “everyone” to use, compared to other models, there are a couple of new features that we hope to see in future iterations.
- Fix: Apple Fitness Is Not Connecting to Watch
- Apple Watch Ultra Review Roundup: The Best Apple Watch Ever
- Can You Use Apple Watch Bands on Apple Watch Ultra
- How to Use Low Power Mode on Apple Watch
- How To Use Find My on Apple Watch
How to Use Siren on Apple Watch Ultra
One potentially helpful option added to the Apple Watch Ultra is the all-new Siren feature. When enabled, this will play a “continuous siren that repeats at regular intervals and that can be heard up to 600 feet away.” It’s designed to be a safety feature that could prove extremely helpful if you are lost and need to be indicated. According to Apple, the siren will continue sounding until you either turn it off or your Watch Ultra runs out of battery. Here’s how you can turn on Siren with the Action Button on Apple Watch Ultra:
- From your Apple Watch Ultra, open the Settings app.
- Tap Action Button.
- Scroll down until you reach the Siren section.
- Tap the toggle next to Hold to Turn On.
With Siren enabled on Apple Watch Ultra, you can now activate it using these steps:
- Press and hold the Action Button until the slider appears.
- Drag the Siren slider to start a countdown.
Once the countdown has finished, the Siren will be activated and can be turned off by tapping the Stop button in the Siren app. Also, Apple points out that you can cancel the Siren after it has started by resting the palm of your hand over the Watch Ultra’s display for at least three seconds.
Apple has also made it possible for you to stop the Siren from sounding before it even starts. All you need to do is release the Action Button to cancel, provided that you were activating it by holding down the Action Button.
Apple Watch Ultra Siren Warnings
Apple doesn’t explicitly provide a number to the decibel level of the sound that the Siren will make on your Apple Watch Ultra when activated. However, it does state that it can be heard from up to 600 feet away, which is the length of two football fields combined.
With that in mind, Apple does provide a few tips and warnings to be aware of when it comes to those who need to use Siren on Apple Watch Ultra:
- When you turn on Siren, Apple Watch Ultra plays a continuous siren that repeats at regular intervals and that can be heard up to 600 feet away.
- The siren is a unique, high-pitched sound that includes two distinct patterns that are not generally heard in nature or the environment and that alternate and repeat.
- Siren pauses in certain situations, like during phone calls, and when timers or alarms sound, but not while podcasts or music are playing.
- Siren continues sounding until you turn it off or your watch runs out of battery.
- If possible, don’t turn on Siren in enclosed environments or hold your watch close to your ears while Siren is sounding.
It’s important to follow these guidelines and warnings, as not doing so could result in potential hearing loss. Those who want to use Siren on Apple Watch will only want to do so in an outdoors environment, as it could prove to be quite a useful tool and feature to “quickly and easily alert those around you when you need help.”
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.