In the opinions of many, podcasts are the new radio. You have to deal with some commercials, but you can also sign up for a subscription and avoid those altogether. Even still, you can scrub or skip past the “commercials” while listening to the podcast, which can be extremely helpful if you listen to the same podcasts over and over again.
- Apple Podcast Subscriptions Explained
- How to Sign Up and Manage Apple Podcasts Subscriptions
- How to Manually Add Podcasts to Your Mac
- Battle of the Apps: Overcast vs Pocket Casts vs Podcast
- Apple Watch Music or Podcasts Not Working, How-to Fix
Signing up for Apple Podcast Subscriptions is one way for you to support your favorite creators. But another way that you can do so is by rating and reviewing the podcast in the app. You might hear some podcasts hosts mention this from time to time over the course of an episode. This is because the algorithm Apple uses to surface new and exciting podcasts for other users relies on good ratings and reviews.
How To Leave a Review in Apple Podcasts
The problem with leaving a review in the Apple Podcasts app is that it wasn’t always simple and straightforward. You had to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to find the right section, before writing out the review. Thankfully, Apple has done some great work with the Podcasts app to make it more user-friendly along with making it easier to rate your favorite shows. Here’s how you can leave a review in Apple Podcasts on iPhone:
- Open the Apple Podcasts app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Locate the podcast that you want to leave a review for.
- Make sure you are on the landing page for the podcast listing and not an individual episode.
- Scroll down to the bottom until you reach Ratings & Reviews.
- Click one of the five stars under Tap to Rate to leave a rating.
- Under the most recent review, tap the Write a Review button.
When writing a review, Apple provides you up to 300 words to get your full review in. You’ll also need to add a title at the top of the prompt that appears. Once you’ve finished writing the review, tap the Send button in the top right corner.
In the event that this is your first time leaving a podcast review, you may want to enter a nickname. This will be displayed alongside any of the reviews that you write and appear on the podcast listings. As a reminder, the podcast review may not instantly appear on the listing. Instead, it will likely take a few hours to populate as it has to be reviewed for anything offensive.
Something you won’t find in many third-party podcast apps is the ability to leave a review. And it’s perfectly okay to still prefer using something like Overcast or Pocket Casts for your podcast listening needs. But if you want to try and help out and support the creators, just leave Apple’s Podcasts app installed, so you can go leave a rating or review when the mood strikes.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.