This article explains how to troubleshoot your iPad/iPhone/iPod camera problems. If you have issues with your iOS device’s camera, try these tips.
- If you see a black image or if you see closed lens, try completely closing the camera app. To to that, double press the home button, tap and hold on the camera app until it jiggles, and then tap the red (-) sign to quit the app. Then press the home button and relaunch the camera app.
- If your device has no camera app on the home screen, it is probably that camera app is disabled. To re-enable the camera, you simply need to go back into Settings > General > Restrictions and flip Camera to ON.
- Simply restarting your iPhone or iPad may fix your issue.
- Are your photos fuzzy? Your camera lenses may be dirty. Make sure that the camera lenses are clean.Using a microfiber cloth to clean the lenses.
- If your camera is not working properly (especially focus problems), it is known that some third party iPad or iPhone case may interfere with the autofocus feature. Try removing the case and test to see if your issue is resolved. You may also want to use focus & exposure feature. To do this, simple tap on the region of the screen where you want focus and exposure. If you tap and hold on the screen, you can lock both the auto-focus and auto-exposure.
- Updating to the latest iOS software may resolve your issue. (How to update your iOS version)
- Reset all settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will erase stored messages, passwords and other data & information.
- iPhone 5 camera flash not working, fix
- iPod / iPhone: Camera shutter will not open; how to fix
- iPhone 4: Camera App Crashes
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.