Apple has been investing in building up its media content for quite some time now. In late 2018, there were news reports suggesting that Apple was planning to take a financial stake in iHeartRadio. iHeartRadio is one of the largest radio stations in the country with more than 850 FM and AM stations.
During WWDC 2019, Apple mentioned that Siri will be able to play radio stations on iOS 13.
If you own a HomePod, you can start playing radio stations on your HomePod now, even without an Apple Music subscription.
- How to Make the Most out of Your HomePod in the Kitchen
- Misplace your iPhone? Siri on HomePod will help you find it.
- HomePod Having Trouble Connecting to the Internet? How To Fix
- How to Connect AirPods and HomePod to a MacBook
It appears that Apple Siri has now integrated many radio stations that are being offered by iHeartRadio as well as TuneIn. ( We had challenges playing the stations offered by TuneIn)
We tested over twenty plus different radio stations and were able to play them all on our HomePod without using an Apple Music subscription.
If you have Apple Music subscription, you can also play other stations such as Disney. The same is true for a station like ‘TalkSport Radio’.
We also found that when you suffix ‘Radio’ at the end of your Siri command, it works better as opposed to simply saying ‘Hey Siri Play xx.x FM’.
There are a few radio stations that are integrated via their Podcast stream. For example, you can say “Hey Siri Play Startalk radio” and your HomePod starts playing the Neil deGrass Tyson Podcast via Radio.
20 Plus Radio Stations you can start playing on your HomePod
- News / Sports
- Hey Siri Play Bloomberg Radio
- Hey Siri play ESPN radio ( EPSN news and sports)
- Hey Siri Play NPR Radio
- Hey Siri Play WAMU 88.5 Radio
- Hey Siri Play TED Radio Hour
- Hey Siri Play Radio Boston
- Hey Siri Play 98.5 The Sports Hub Radio
- Hey Siri Play TalkRadio (onpointradio.org)
- Hey Siri Play CBS News Radio
- Music / Local
- Hey Siri Play Alt 98.7
- Hey Siri play KOST-FM 103.5 (Provided by iheartradio)
- Hey Siri Play 92.3 AMP Radio ( Provided by iheartradio)
- Hey Siri Play 97.1 AMP Radio ( Provided by iheartradio)
- Hey Siri Play 95.5 KLOS (provided by tune in) – doesn’t play
- Hey Siri Play Real 92.3 FM radio ( Provided by iheartRadio)
- UK Radio Stations
- Hey Siri play Radio X
- Hey Siri Play Classic FM
- Hey Siri Play Capitol Radio
- Hey Siri Play BBC World Service Radio
- Hey Siri Play Heart Radio
- Play Gold Radio
We hope that you found this list helpful and can make the most out of it on your HomePod. Please let us know about your favorite radio stations on HomePod and we will keep the list updated. Playing some local radio stations was a hit or miss with some stations but overall the choices that are available to you on your HomePod has expanded significantly.
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.