This short article describes how to turn Genius for Apps on or off. This is a feature that will help you discover new apps based on app purchases you’ve made for folks using iOS 6 and below.
With the introduction of iOS 7, Apple no longer offers the Genius feature
Instead, iOS 7 uses a similar feature called Near Me to help discover new iOS apps in the App Store.
Using iOS 8, 9, or 10?
For folks running iOS 8, 9, or 10, look at your Top Charts or Explore tabs to find interesting and recommended apps.
And for folks using iOS 11 or 12
Check out the Today and Apps Tabs for recommendations and discover apps you’ve never heard of or tried before! Apple’s Genius, Near Me, or Today/Apps feature is especially useful considering there are millions of apps available.
Discover Apps in iOS 11/12
- Tap Today to see featured stories and apps
- Choose Games or Apps to see new releases, top charts, or browse by category
- Tap Search to use a keyword to find an app
While the Near Me, Top charts, Explore, and Today/Apps features are always enabled, the Genius feature of iOS 6 and below is something you can enable or disable.
To enable Genius for Apps on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch:
- Launch App Store
- Tap the Genius tab
- Tap Turn on Genius’
- Apple prompts you to enter your Apple ID password. After you will be asked to agree to Apple terms and privacy conditions. Scroll down and tap Agree
- Now you turned on Genius, the Genius tap shows you app recommendations
To Disable Genius for Apps on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch:
- Launch App Store
- Tap the Featured tab
- Scroll down to the bottom
- Tap your Apple ID and select View Apple ID where you can manage your Apple ID settings.
- Tap Turn Off Genius for apps
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.