While the AirPods Max are certainly unique in that they are the only high-end headphones offered by Apple, they aren’t without some issues. Since the release, the owners have been suffering from battery draining issues, along with other sound quality problems.
- AirPods vs AirPods Pro vs AirPods Max: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- How to Change AirPods Max Ear Cushions
- AirPods Max Are the Luxury Over-Ear Headphones You’ve Always Wanted
- How to Charge your AirPods Pro wirelessly or with the cable
- How Can I Make My Apple AirPods Pro Louder?
Just like the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, Apple has been steadily releasing firmware and software updates that aim to fix those potential problems. The latest of which does not feature an official changelog, but it’s assumed that this fixes battery draining problems.
How to Update AirPods Max
As is the case with the standard AirPods and AirPods Pro, there’s no “update software” button to force the update. Instead, you kind of have to play some gymnastics in order to update the AirPods Max. Our friends over at AirBuddy shared how they were able to get the AirPods Max to update properly. Here are those steps:
- Connect your AirPods Max to your iPhone.
- Listen to some type of audio for at least 30 seconds.
- Pause the audio playback.
- Put your AirPods Max into the Smart Case.
- Plug your AirPods Max into power.
- Leave both the iPhone and AirPods Max nearby.
To be on the safe side, we would recommend waiting a few minutes before taking the AirPods Max off of the charger. You don’t want to worry about the firmware update starting, only to accidentally interrupt it mid-update. Patience is key, so you’ll want to just hold tight to wait and see if the update was applied.
How to check the AirPods Max software version
An easy way to determine whether an update has been applied to the AirPods Max is to check the Version number. This isn’t the model number or anything of your specific headphones, but is the firmware version.
At launch, the AirPods Max featured a firmware version number of ‘3C16‘. But the new version rolling out updates that number to ‘3C39‘. Here’s how you can check to see if the software on your AirPods Max has been updated.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Locate your AirPods Max in the list of devices.
- Tap the “i” icon to the right of your AirPods Max on the list.
- The build will be listed under Version.
Did you buy the AirPods Max?
Luxury headphones aren’t for everyone, even when it comes to Apple and the easy integration between devices. These headphones are priced at $550, and you are just now able to purchase the replaceable earcups, but that will set you back even more.
It seems that the general consensus is that the AirPods Max are almost perfect, save for these battery issues, and a questionably-designed Smart Case. But did you pick up a set for yourself? Or are you holding out for an updated version of the standard AirPods? Let us know in the comments below!
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.