With larger dimensions, the Apple Watch Series 4 has more display real estate than before. With this in mind, Apple has introduced an all-new Infograph watch face that can accommodate up to eight complications. Yes, eight. In this article, you’ll learn more about the new face and how to set it up.
Please note the Infograph watch face is only compatible with the 40mm and 44mm Apple Watch Series 4. It’s not available on previous Apple Watch versions.
Setting up the New Infograph Watch Face
You can create and edit the Infograph watch face from the Apple Watch itself or through the iPhone Apple Watch app. Ideally, setup is best performed on the app, while making a change to an existing face is easier from the watch.
You can find the new Infograph watch face in the iPhone Apple Watch app under Face Gallery. The face is located at the top left side of the screen in watchOS 5.x.
How to Set Up the Color
As you’re making changes to the face, you’ll see those modifications reflected at the top of the screen in the sample. When selecting the white watch face (see below), the actual face turns white. Otherwise, it’s just the color of the sides that change.
- Tap on the Infograph watch face icon to get started.
- On the next page under the Description, there are multiple color choices. Be sure to scroll right to left to see them all. Tap to select your choice of color.
- 7 Apple Watch and watchOS Features That You Didn’t Notice
- How to Resolve Apple Watch Volume Problems
- Apple Watch Podcast App Not Syncing With iPhone? Fixes
How to Set the Complications
On the same page, under Complications, you can add up to eight complications. These are positioned under the top left, top right, sub-dial top, sub-dial left, sub-dial right, sub-dial bottom, bottom left, and bottom right. By default, the watch includes the following complications:
- Top Left, UV Index
- Top Right, Weather (default)
- Right Sub-Dial, Solar
- Top Sub-Dial, Calendar
- Bottom Sub-Dial, World Clock: Cupertino
- Left Bottom: Timer
- Right Bottom: Activity
In the following example, the top left complication has been changed to Sunrise/Sunset from UV Index:
Scroll through any of the complications to make changes. You can elect to turn complications “off” too. Once you’re done setting up each of your complications, tap “Add” at the top of the screen to save it.
Once you do, the watch face is now a choice in the My Watch tab under My Face. Click on it and scroll down until you see “Set as current Watch Face.” Tap on it to select.
The Infograph watch face you created has now been installed on your Apple Watch Series 4.
About Those Complications
Not all complications are created equal. As such, you may notice that not every complication is available in each location on the Infograph face. Additionally, other complications, while available, might not be formatted in a way that matches the look of the other complications.
The Four Corners
In the case of the top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom right complications, notice the cornered look in the first image below. In the second, the top left and bottom right have been changed to complications that don’t include the cornered look:
The four sub-dial complications in the middle of the face are also worth considering. The sub-dial top is much more than a circle; it also controls what’s showed on the top edge of the face.
Notice in the example below that Calendar and Activity both show text on the top edge, while the third-party Cardiogram app does not:
The sub-dials also introduce new favorites complications. These give you one-touch access to calling or texting your most important contacts.
Making Changes on Apple Watch
Like other Apple Watch faces, you can change the appearance of the Infograph face on the Apple Watch itself. To do so, follow these steps:
Changing Colors and Complications
- From the Apple Watch face, swipe left or right from edge to edge until you find the face you’d like to edit.
- When you find the one you want, press on the Digital Crown to select that face. Hit “Customize.”
- Press the display firmly to activate Apple Watch customization.
- Swipe left or right to select a feature, then turn the Digital Crown to make changes.
- Swipe all the way to the left to edit complications. Tap on a complication to select it, then turn the Digital Crown to change it.
- Once you’ve made your changes, press the Digital Crown to save them.
- Tap the watch face to set it as your current one.
In the following example, the color of the face was changed from white to black:
Next, the top left complication has been changed to the Reminder app from Ultra Violet:
Bringing it Together
When it comes to the new Infograph complications and watch face on the Apple Watch Series 4, be as creative as you want to me. Whether you use all eight complications or just a few, there’s no wrong answer.
Which face do you use on your Apple Watch?