Now that iOS 16 has been officially released, this means that there are a ton of different apps that are being updated to support the new features. Aside from the Dynamic Island found on the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16 introduces the long-awaited ability to customize your Lock Screen. In addition to changing the clock style and customizing the wallpaper, you can finally add iPhone lock screen widgets. There are so many apps that have already been updated with support for Lock Screen widgets, and today we’re taking a look at some of the best options you can download now.
- iOS 16 Lock Screen: How To Customize iPhone
- How to Link Focus on Lock Screen With iOS 16
- How To Show Battery Percentage on iPhone With iOS 16
- iOS 16: How to Track Packages on iPhone With Apple Wallet
- How to Use Spotlight in iOS 16
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Utilities
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Social Media
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Weather
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Travel
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Media and Music
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Productivity
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Health and Fitness
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Cooking and Recipes
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Photography
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Reading
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: HomeKit
- iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Personalization
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Utilities
Being able to set shortcuts on your Lock Screen is super useful:
- Run home automations with one tap
- Open an alternative camera app
- Get directions to a specific place
- Send a message to someone you frequently text
- Start playing your latest favorite podcast
- Leverage all your existing shortcuts by making them easily accessible
- An improved widget editor to make widget creation and configuration simpler and more intuitive.
- Widgetsmith provides a wide array of lock screen widgets in all of the new styles.
- The ability to isolate the people in images from their background and import images with transparency.
- A robust set of new tools that which automatically launch within Widgetsmith whenever a widget is tapped. These are contextual to each widget. For example, tapping on a weather widget brings up the weather forecast for the selected location.
LookUp: English dictionary
LookUp offers a variety of Lock Screen widgets to customize the Lock Screen. These can be for glancing at the Word of the Day, quick actions such as Search, or show a user’s vocabulary building progress for a particular collection through the Learn Widget.
Search: Start your Google search right from your Lock Screen. You can even configure the Search widget to start searching with your voice or camera — to translate, get homework help or shop what you see.
Chrome: Try our Chrome Lock Screen widgets to quickly launch Chrome, start a search with your voice or in incognito mode, or load our beloved dino game.
Drive: Access your files with our Drive widgets. Open a suggested Drive file or your starred files and folders with a single tap to pick up where you left off with that work project or short story draft.
Maps: With the Maps Frequent Trips widget, get real-time traffic updates and estimated travel times to places like home and work right on your Lock Screen.
Gmail: Stay on top of your email with Gmail’s Lock Screen widget, which will automatically show you the number of new messages in your inbox. You can also customize the widget to see which inbox categories, like Social or Updates, contain new messages.
News: See real-time headlines with a quick glance at the Google News widget. And if something in particular catches your eye, simply tap to read more in the app.
CardPointers for Credit Cards
- Lock Screen Widgets – know which card to use at any of your favorite stores without even unlocking your iPhone to earn the most points or cash back.
- 1,000s of App Shortcuts – Ask Siri, “CardPointers for Starbucks”, or any of 1,000s of other stores, and Siri will tell (and show) you which card of yours is best for that purchase.
- Focus Filters – See only business cards throughout the app when you’re in Work mode, or hide all of your cards with foreign exchange fees when you’re traveling.
- Shared with You – When friends share a great new Amex or Chase offer with you, from the app or the new http://cardpointers.com/offers page, you’ll never forget about them again as they’ll show up in a new section in the For You page— and you can thank them right from in the app.
- Passkeys – All new accounts will be created using passkeys by default, and you can add one to your existing account in the app.
The Dashboard and Pointers sections have also been totally re-imagined.
Just Press Record
- Start recording with the new Lock Screen Widget.
- Automatically add punctuation to transcripts.
Contacts by Cardhop
- Focus Filters for iOS 16! Filter your contact lists when activating a Focus
- Lock screen widgets for iOS 16! Perform an action on a contact directly from the lock screen
- Added support for showing a nickname on business cards
- Groups are now named Lists
- Various fixes and improvements
Lock Screen Widgets (iOS 16 only)
- Parcel supports all three types of lock screen widgets and you can assign a specific delivery to a widget (just like you can do with a regular widget).
New Apple Watch Complications (watchOS 9 only)
- Complications on Apple Watch are now the same as lock screen widgets in the iOS app. You can assign a specific delivery to a complication too, it could be a day counter or a delivery status.
Changes to Automatic Pasting (iOS 16 only)
- Due to privacy-related changes in iOS 16, it is no longer possible for Parcel to check your clipboard when adding a new delivery. To paste what is currently in your clipboard, please click on a separate paste button located next to the camera button (on iPhone) or on the keyboard (iPad).
Motivation – Daily quotes
- Lock screen widgets: receiving powerful quotes has never been easier. Strengthen your mental health with beautifully inspiring, positive quotes delivered right to your lock screen widgets. You can even read them at a glance in the new always-on iPhone screen. Update the app and enjoy them now!
- New animated themes: you’re loving our new live themes, so we’re adding a few more.. and they are gorgeous! Now you can read your quotes while experiencing a calmer, quieter ambience. Let us know what you think!
- More categories and quotes: you read them, we keep them coming. We love providing you with the content you want. We don’t stop!
- Polishing: last but not least, we keep squeezing the little bugs and fine-tuning our app.
- Beautiful new lock screen widget that shows you the last calculation you left behind.
- New custom lock screen widget that users can configure to the quick action they need to perform from the lock screen.
- Support for Focus Filter. Customize Calzy settings like theme, Currency Rounding, and Scientific mode based on your focus.
- Newly designed apple watch app.
- New watch complications. Now you can create a calculator watch face and start calculating right from your watch face.
- Support for all the latest Apple devices, including Apple Watch Ultra.
- Several UI/UX enhancements.
- Quality and stability improvements.
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Social Media
Apollo for Reddit
Lock Screen Widgets! Apollo has a variety of lock screen widgets to keep you covered and up to date.
- Trending post widget: choose a subreddit and the lock screen widget will cycle through trending posts throughout the course of the day.
- Distance scrolled widget: Shows the total distance you’ve scrolled in Apollo as a handy lock screen widget! (More details on this feature below.)
- Karma widget: at a glance see how your magic internet points are doing!
- Inbox widget: see if you have any unread items in Apollo that you might want to take a peak at!
- Most recent post widget: shows how your most recent post is doing, in terms of upvotes and comments.
- Most recent comment widget: similar to the previous one, but shows how your most recent comment is doing!
- Subreddit shortcut widget: what it says on the tin! Quickly jump from your lock screen to your favorite subreddit of your choosing with a tap! Weeeee!
- Random subreddit widget: quickly go on an adventure to a random subreddit!
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Weather
Lock Screen Widgets:
- Get weather on your Lock Screen with a wide variety of customizable widgets. (Automatic background updates require a Premium Club membership.)
To celebrate, we added a few more lock screen widgets and watch complications, the ability to rename your saved locations, a dynamic mode for the wind rose, improved the premium purchase screen (y’all should really try that one out), and added a few easter eggs.
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Travel
New Lock Screen widgets:
- Count down to your trip
- See arrival weather
- Live status, gate, & time
- Booking code, seat number, baggage belt
- In-flight progress bar – even offline
Quickly glance at your iPhone Lock Screen to see your:
- Upcoming trip or plan, whether it’s a flight, train, rental car, hotel, restaurant, or stop on your road trip.
- Relevant flight information, including the flight number and departure time, arrival countdown, plus gate number when available.
- Post-landing details, whether that’s a rental car reservation or hotel booking details.
With just a tap on the widget, you can also quickly open the TripIt app for more detailed information about your itinerary.
- New widgets for your Lock Screen and Complications for your Watch: keep tabs on local resort conditions and snow forecasts.
- New widget for your Home Screen: Winter Memories. Photos you took while skiing will rotate daily on your Home Screen. See snow year-round!
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Media and Music
Lock Screen widgets:
- Recents: Unfinished and newly published episodes.
- Icon: Launch Overcast.
- Playlist: Play a playlist. After adding, tap the widget to choose the playlist and style.
In addition to the existing Circle widget there is now a Rectangle widget and an Inline widget (above the clock). Both have multiple display mode configurations.
- Ability to add the collection widget to lock screen.
- Choose an album, playlist or song and pin it directly on your lock screen for quick access.
- Tap and hold the lock screen to enter edit mode and then double tap on the widget to enter the widgets config mode.
- Choose you desired favourite item and it will appear on the lock screen.
MusicHarbor – Track New Music
Lock Screen Widgets for new and upcoming music releases!
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Productivity
Lock Screen Widget for iOS 16
- Add 7 Lock Screen Widgets so that you can view information at a glance, such as Today Tasks, Focus Distribution, and Today Habit.
- New Widget: Habit Heat Map, track your habit completions by month.
- New Widget: Focus Distribution, check the distribution of focus time this week (iOS 16 only).
- New Widget: Task Completions, quick view of task completions recently (iOS 16 only).
Regular updates will be made to offer you an ever more smooth and stable journey at TickTick.
We’ve just updated Things for iOS 16 – you can now personalize your Lock Screen with three beautiful new widgets! Quickly glance at a list, instantly add new to-dos, and track your progress throughout the day.
- Tasks: See the tasks in a list of your choice.
- Next Task: See the next task of your Today view.
- Add Task: Quickly add a task.
- Task Goal: Check in on your daily or weekly task goal.
- Productivity: View your productivity stats.
GoodLinks 1.7 is available now, with support for iOS 16: Lock Screen widgets, Focus Filter, and new Shortcuts actions.
Structure – Daily Planner
After you’ve updated your device or set up your brand-new iPhone, you can press and hold on your lock screen and add 3 different widget types to it. That way, you don’t even have to unlock your phone to see what’s happening next.
TimePage by Moleskine Studio
Version 3.7.9 – Lock Screen Widgets – all of your favorite Timepage widgets are now available on your iOS 16 Lock Screen!
Tangerine: Self-care & Goals
Introducing Tangerine’s new Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16. Now you can know how far along you are to completing your goals for the day with just a quick glance to your device.
Sorted3 – Calendar Notes Tasks
Use Today widget to show the upcoming tasks. Show a list of actions in List / Tag widgets. Reveal your achievements using the beautiful Swift Charts.
Planny – Daily Planner
Now you can add your daily tasks to your lock screen.
Show your next due tasks, overall progress or task statistics, all from your iPhone lock screen. Use custom categories to only show tasks related to your current focus. Show only the tasks that you need to finish next by tapping the all-new “Up Next” button.
- Added support for Focus Filters (iOS16 and macOS13), to hide projects/categories when you are focused
- Started to add support for Shortcuts app, to be further rolled-out over the next few releases
- Added coloring of text
- Added highlighting of text
- You can now choose a background color for notes
- Now have support for blockquotes in text
- Added code blocks, with syntax highlighting of programming languages
- Added a number of Shortcuts that are visible in the Shortcuts app, Spotlight and Siri
Bluebird Focus Timer
Bluebird 3.1 is out for iOS 16 & watchOS 9!
- Lock Screen widgets
- Focus filters
- Shortcuts with zero setup
- Adapted for new devices
If you can’t find the key to success, pick the lock, or the Lock Screen.
Tasks: To Do Lists & Planner
- Lock Screen Widgets
- App Intents
- Focus Filter
- A bunch of iOS 16 stuff (beautiful context menus, etc)
- Kanban board redone from scratch optimised for keyboard users
Timelines Time Tracking
- New Lock Screen widgets
- See your tracked time and category right on your lock screen.
- Track progress towards your goals.
- See total tracked time for a category and for a specific interval.
- Focus Filters
- Filter what categories are visible in the tracking screen based on your Focus mode.
- For example: show only work-related categories when in Work focus, or show only personal categories when in Personal focus.
- New alternative app icons
- Select the style that you like the most.
- Dark, Watch, and Flarup icons.
- This update also brings compatibility with iOS 16 and watchOS 9.
Calendar by Fantastical
- Focus Filters for iOS 16! Filter your calendar sets when activating a Focus
- Lock screen widgets for iOS 16! See upcoming events and a calendar on the lock screen
- App Shortcuts for iOS 16! Using Fantastical’s shortcuts is now even quicker and easier
- Added a custom keyboard to allow fast entry of Fantastical Openings meeting template links
- Added ability to create and edit Fantastical Openings meeting templates directly in the app
- Hidden events are now stored per-user, so multiple people using Fantastical with a shared calendar now have separate hidden items
- Improved support for dynamic type in Day, Week and Month views
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Health and Fitness
iOS 16 Lock Screen Widgets:
- Choose from 8 different options
- Glance at your current water levels
- See hourly and weekly graphs
- Log your favorite cup directly from the Lock Screen
Implements basic support for iOS 16 Lock Screen widgets.
SmartGym: Gym & Home Workouts
Add amazing widgets to your Lock Screen. Add your weekly summary, heart rate and calories charts and even track how many workouts you’ve done. Create custom Lock Screens for when working out. Start a workout session and your Lock Screen will automatically update.
Personal Best – Workouts
iOS 16 is here, and a bumper Personal Best update comes with it!
- Lock screen widgets! Track your workouts even when your phone is locked. Will probably look great on the new Always-On display on the iPhone 14 Pro..
- Heart rate zones! See how hard you’re working on your workouts.
- The entire app’s had a facelift! You’ll notice new icons, simpler screens, and just a general coat of paint on everything.
Adds support sleep stages (new in watchOS 9), a native Apple Watch app, and widgets for sleep onset, duration, quality, and stages that you can install onto your watch face or your iPhone’s lock screen.
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Cooking and Recipes
- Siri Shortcuts
- You can now talk to Pestle with Siri, saying things like “Hey Siri, what’s on my Meal Plan in Pestle?”. And for the power users out there, dive into the Shortcuts app to create your own custom workflows.
- Want to lookup an RSS feed, save all the recipes from it, and add them all to a folder? Easy.
- How about find a recipe that’s perfect for the weather? Easy as.
There’s so much you can do with Pestle in Shortcuts, and I can’t wait for you to try it!
- Shared with You
- Recipes shared with you via iMessage will show up in Pestle, without you ever having to save it yourself, it’ll just be there. Magic.
- View your Meal Plan at a glance with a brand new Lock Screen Widget.
View the next upcoming meal or follow a recipe, straight from the Lock Screen.
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Photography
Halide Mark II – Pro Camera
In addition to our powerful widget line-up, we’re adding Lock Screen widgets for opening Halide, jumping right into Auto/Manual mode, opening Halide any lens, and even a Macro mode shortcut. Finally making your Pro phone much more like a Pro camera, right out of your pocket.
Lumy 4.7 updates for the latest iOS 16 and watchOS 9 with the following features
- Three new customizable lock screen widgets
- Countdown widget to track any sun event you want.
- Sun times widget to show times like sunrise, sunset, first light, golden hour, blue hour, etc.,
- Moon widget shows moon phase, rise, set, and transit time.
On iOS 16, add Night Sky widget to your Lock Screen to see the next upcoming celestial events at a glance.
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Reading
BigNews – Smart Reader
- NEW: Shared With You. Now stories that have been sent to you in Messages will appear in the Today tab
- NEW: Lock screen widget. Get the latest stories right on your lock screen.
Book Tracker: Bookshelf log
Added new Lock Screen Widgets to have reading statistics, book progress and pages read per day at your fingertips
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: HomeKit
Home Widget for HomeKit
- Adds new Lock Screen Circular Widget
- Adds a new Icon Library on iOS 16 named « HomeKit ». It contains all the new icons of the new iOS 16 Home app
- Some icons (door, window, shade) from this new « HomeKit » icon set are now dynamic (closed/open regarding the device state).
iPhone Lock Screen Widgets for iOS 16: Personalization
LockLauncher Lockscreen Widget
LockLauncher is the best Lock Screen Widget Builder.
Create your own Lock Screen widgets and actions using symbols, app icons, and custom images.
Each widget can open any URL you want; there is a list in the app to select from and you can add your own if you wish.
- Select an app icon
- Add the URL to open the app
- Add the widget on the Lock Screen (tap on the widget to edit it)
- Pressing on the widget will now open the app directly from your Lock Screen!
Themify – Widget & Icon Themes
Here’s what’s new:
- Depth Effect wallpapers—give your Lock Screen a beautiful, multi-layered look with iOS 16 feature
- Lock Screen quote widgets—get inspired with every glance at your iPhone
- Bug fixes and performance improvements for the most satisfying experience
iOS 16 has several new features and improvements, one of which is widgets. Widgets have been available on Android for quite some time, but they’re new to the iPhone. With iOS 16, you can add widgets to your iPhone’s lock screen. Here are our seven top iOS16 widgets you can add to your iPhone’s lock screen:
- Calendar: View your upcoming appointments and events at a glance.
- Weather: Stay up-to-date on the current conditions and forecasts.
- Stocks: Check the markets and see how your investments are doing.
- Maps: Get directions or see traffic conditions in your area.
- Notes: Quickly jot down a note or create a to-do list.
- Reminders: Set reminders for yourself and see them on your lock screen.
- Photos: Choose a photo from your camera roll or photo library and set it as your lock screen wallpaper.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.