Windows Media Video (WMV) is a video compression format developed by Microsoft. iOS devices (iPad, iPhone and iPod touch) does not support .wmv (Windows Media Video) files natively. You either have to convert these files to mp4 or m4v before you can play them on the iPhone or iPad or download a media player app for your iPhone that supports .wmv. There are several apps that can play WMV files so you can watch your movies or files. Some of them:
- VLC media player for iOS (iTunes – $1.99)
- Azul Media Player (iTunes – $0.99)
- StreamToMe (iTunes – $2.99)
- The Best Free iPad and iPhone Apps for Babies and Toddlers
- Can I watch a rented movie without an internet connection?
- iPad: “This movie could not be played”
Obsessed with tech since the early arrival of A/UX on Apple, Sudz (SK) is responsible for the editorial direction of AppleToolBox. He is based out of Los Angeles, CA.
Sudz specializes in covering all things macOS, having reviewed dozens of OS X and macOS developments over the years.
In a former life, Sudz worked helping Fortune 100 companies with their technology and business transformation aspirations.