The Apple Watch is an incredible piece of technology, and it just continues to get better and better. This is evidenced by the larger screen that was introduced with the Apple Watch Series 7, which also offers a brighter Always-on Display. The display brightness has always been a sticking point with the Apple Watch, as Apple continues to try and ensure that your Watch will actually last all day without running out of juice.
- First Things To Do With Apple Watch Series 7
- How To Calibrate Your Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Screen Replacement: All You Need To Know
- Apple Watch Series 7 Tips and Tricks
- How To Use Find My on Apple Watch
However, there are still those times when the screen just does not seem bright enough, whether you are trying to look at the “normal” watch face or the Always-on Display. Thankfully, there are a couple of things that you could do in order to make your Watch easier to see throughout the day.
How To Brighten Apple Watch Screen
The first method for increasing the brightness on your Apple Watch’s screen is to just manually adjust the slider. Like the iPhone, there’s a sensor that attempts to determine how bright the screen should be based on the lighting conditions surrounding you. But this isn’t always the most accurate or reliable solution, as you could end up with an extremely-dim screen when the opposite needs to be true. Here’s how you can manually brighten the Apple Watch screen:
- Unlock your Apple Watch if it’s not already done.
- Press the Digital Crown on the side of the Watch to view all of your apps.
- Find and tap the Settings app icon.
- Scroll down and tap Display & Brightness.
- Under Appearance, tap the Sun icon until it reaches an appropriate level.
- Tap the back arrow in the top left corner to go back.
Change Your Watch Face
Another method may not be the most exciting, especially if you are using a watch face with a ton of different complications. But the truth is that using a brighter watch face will usually result in you being able to actually see what’s on your watch better. Even when the Always-on Display is active, the Watch compensates for that and still provides a brighter experience.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap Face Gallery in the bottom toolbar.
- Locate a watch face that makes use of a white or lighter background compared to what you are already using.
- Select the watch face and go through the different options to customize.
- Once finished, tap the Add button at the top under the name of the watch face.
- Tap the My Watch tab in the bottom toolbar.
- Under My Faces tap the Edit button.
- Locate your newly-added watch face from the list.
- Press and hold on the three vertical lines to the right of the watch face.
- Drag it up to move it to the top of your list.
- Tap Done.
After you’ve moved the watch face to the top of the list, your Apple Watch should automatically switch over to the new watch face. If not, you can raise your wrist to wake the watch, and then swipe to the left to switch between watch faces.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.