We have all been there at some point. You were watching TV on the couch and your iPhone slides off from your pocket and now you cannot find it. Your kid was playing with your iPhone and no one can find it around the household.
How can I find my iPhone if its on silent?
You know it is somewhere in your house or car but you just cannot seem to locate it.
To top it off, you recently switched your iPhone in Silent mode. This creates a problem if you are trying to locate your iPhone by calling it from another phone.
This article shows you how to locate your iPhone that had the silent mode on.
But the tips work for any device, including an iPad, iPod, Apple Watch, and even Macs!
- Use Find My (formerly Find My iPhone)
- How to find an iPhone on silent using iCloud’s website: 3 steps to locate your silent iPhone
- How to find an iPhone on silent using another device
- What to do if Find My isn’t turned on on your missing iPhone or other Apple device
- Wrap up
- How to use Find My on Apple Watch to locate your children and family
- Use the Find My app on Mac to find your friends and devices
- Complete guide to the new Find My App to track your Apple devices and more
- Where is Find My Friends and how do I use it in iOS 13 or iPadOS?
- I Lost My AirPods! How To Find Your Lost AirPods or AirPod Case
Use Find My (formerly Find My iPhone)
This situation is where the Find my iPhone on iCloud comes handy.
You can actually use the app on icloud’s website and send an alert signal to your iPhone to locate the device.
Apple overrides your silent mode and you will be able to hear the loud beeping on your device, making it easier to track it down.
You need to set up Find My before your iPhone or other device goes missing!
To use Find My, you must have previously set it up on your iPhone
Tap on Settings > Apple ID and scroll down and make sure you have Find My enabled here.
For older iOS, go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Find My iPhone.
The mechanism to trigger the alert signal is not very intuitive.
Here are the steps that help you locate your iPhone if you had set it up in silent mode.
How to find an iPhone on silent using iCloud’s website: 3 steps to locate your silent iPhone
Step – 1 Log in to iCloud’s website on a computer using your credentials and click on Find my iPhone.
Step – 2 If required, enter your apple id and password.
The App shows you a map with all your Apple devices that have ‘Find my’ feature enabled. Click on “All devices” on the top and choose your iPhone.
Step – 3 On the next screen, It will show you the location of the iPhone on the map as well as provide you with the tracking options on the top right corner of the screen.
All you need to do here is click on ‘Play Sound’. This makes your iPhone emit an alert sound so that you can track it easily in your home.
Ask a family member to find your iPhone if you use Family Sharing
If you use Family Sharing, any family member can help locate a family’s missing device by signing in to iCloud with their Apple ID.
Once signed in, a family member can locate any device that the family members use with Family Sharing.
How to find an iPhone on silent using another device
You can also use the Find My app on another device or a family member’s device to locate your missing iPhone (or other Apple device.) This includes Macs using macOS Catalina+!
- Open the Find My app on another device signed in with the same Apple ID or use a family member’s device if you share a Family Plan
- Tap the Devices tab at the bottom of the app
- Locate and tap the name of the missing iPhone (or the name of another missing device)
- If the device is nearby, choose Play Sound to help you find it
- If needed, tap Directions to help you locate it (if it’s not showing up nearby)
- Listen for the alert sound playing on the missing iPhone or Apple device
- You missing device also displays a notice that someone activated the Find My alert
What to do if Find My isn’t turned on on your missing iPhone or other Apple device
If you didn’t turn on Find My before you discovered your device is missing, it can’t be used to locate your device.
Find My is the only way that you can track or locate a lost or missing device.
If Find My isn’t enabled on your device before it goes missing, Apple cannot find, track, or flag your device for you.
Instead, keep looking manually and if you cannot locate it, make sure you protect your data
- Change your Apple ID password to prevent anyone from accessing your data
- Change the passwords for any other accounts on your device like email accounts, Facebook, or Twitter
- Report your lost or stolen device to local law enforcement and provide them the serial number (located on the packaging or invoice/receipt for the device)
- For iPhones and mobile iPads, report your lost or stolen device to your wireless carrier
- Remove your lost or stolen device from your list of trusted devices
- Visit your Apple ID account page
- Go to the Devices section and remove the missing device
This is a nice feature that all iPhone, iPad, iPod plus Apple Watch and Mac users can use.
You will find this feature handy if you tend to share your iPhone with your toddler in the household. Just, make sure that you have the Find My feature turned on!
If you have other favorite tips and tricks that you use to locate your iPhone we would love to hear from you.