It’s been a whirlwind couple of weeks for Apple, as the company is not only gearing up for WWDC 2022, but we’re also getting new software updates. Earlier in the week, the final version of iOS 15.5, iPadOS 15.5, and macOS 12.4 were released to non-beta users. Now, we’re already getting our first look at what the next version has to offer with the iOS and iPadOS 15.6 Developer Beta.
- macOS: Fix “Erase process has failed. Click done to continue”
- Here’s Why Apple Pay Says “Fraud Suspected”
- How to Fix Your iPhone With Apple’s Self Service Repair Program
- What to Do if Your iPad Markup Notes Disappeared
- iPad on iOS 15: How Do I Disable Split Screen?
What’s New in iOS 15.6
It should come as no surprise with WWDC 2022 set to kick off in less than a month. Apple is pretty good at keeping its changelogs pretty bare when it comes to revealing what’s to come. Here’s the official changelog for iOS 15.6:
- Wallet now enables Apple Cash customers to send and request money from their Apple Cash card
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your iPhone and automatically delete older ones
- Fixes an issue where home automations, triggered by people arriving or leaving, may fail
- Fixes an issue that may cause iPhone SE (3rd gen) to unexpectedly shutdown
- Xcode 13.4 is unable to prepare iOS 15.6 beta devices for development. (93452791)
- Workaround: Use Xcode 13.3.1.
Suffice it to say, there’s not much going on, but this is just Apple getting things in place. Most of the time with these “point” releases, Apple is implementing bug fixes and begin laying the groundwork for upcoming changes. As for the iPad, there are no official changelog notes to speak of, at the time of this writing.
How To Install iOS 15.6 and iPadOS 15.6
If you like the idea of living on the cutting edge, then you might want to get your devices enrolled in the Developer Beta. Unfortunately, there is not yet a Public Beta available, but we expect it to arrive within the next few days, if not sooner.
Those who want to join the beta program can follow these steps:
- Navigate to beta.apple.com from your iPhone or iPad.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Tap the Sign Up button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download the Beta profile.
- Once downloaded, open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Select VPN & Device Management.
- Tap the beta profile and enable it.
- After the profile is enabled, your iPhone or iPad will restart.
Once your iPhone is finished restarting, you can head into the Settings app and install the update just like you would any other software update. Then, you’ll be able to enjoy iOS 15.6 on your iPhone and iPadOS 15.6 on your iPad!
When Will iOS 15.6 and iPadOS 15.6 Be Released?
One might hope that Apple would give users some indication as to when the next version of iOS will be released. Unfortunately, that’s really not Apple’s style so it’s pretty much just a guessing game. Apple will go through and release a few beta versions of iOS 15.6 and iPadOS 15.6 before making them available to the public.
When you consider the fact that the WWDC 2022 Keynote commences on June 6th, it’s a bit strange to see another version of iOS and iPadOS released. Perhaps this is an indication that iOS 16 is going to be a dramatic change and Apple’s plans to allow users to stick to a previous version may actually come to fruition. That being said, we wouldn’t be surprised if the final version is available on the day of the Keynote.
Andrew is a freelance writer based on the East Coast of the US.
He has written for a variety of sites over the years, including iMore, Android Central, Phandroid, and a few others. Now, he spends his days working for an HVAC company, while moonlighting as a freelance writer at night.